Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports briefs: 4/15

Baseball

Miami went on the road to College Park this weekend and took two of three games from the Maryland Terrapins.

Chris Diaz turned in a solid outing on the mound Friday night, but it took the Hurricanes 13 innings to secure a 1-0 win. Freshman Brandon Lopez knocked in the winning run with a two-out single in the top of the last frame.

Eric Nedeljkovic entered as Miami’s fourth relief pitcher, and his scoreless work to close the game earned the senior his seventh save this season.

On Saturday at Shipley Field, David Thompson anchored the Miami lineup with timely hits in a 5-3 win.

Thompson – who crosses home plate for the only run in the series opener – launched a home run and a two-run double during his three-RBI performance.

The Hurricanes used another quality start from Bryan Radziewski (six innings, two earned runs) to clinch the series over the Terps.

However, Maryland (19-17, 5-13 ACC) prevented a sweep with its 7-2 win over Miami (24-15, 8-10 ACC) on Sunday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team rode a long winning streak into Friday’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, but the Tar Heels were too much for No. 10 Miami to handle.

Carolina grabbed the doubles point after Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar lost a 9-8 thriller. The Canes’ third tandem had several match points during the two-hour set.

Bolivar took the first singles point with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Tessa Lyons, but the top-ranked Tar Heels did not surrender another singles match.

Miami rebounded quickly, though, rounding back into form with a shutout of No. 9 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Clementina Riobueno engineered the best singles performance of the day. She took a 6-4, 4-3 lead on Duke’s Marianne Jodoin before the Canes clinched the win and the match went unfinished. Jodoin had won 21 straight.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...