Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports briefs: 4/15

Baseball

Miami went on the road to College Park this weekend and took two of three games from the Maryland Terrapins.

Chris Diaz turned in a solid outing on the mound Friday night, but it took the Hurricanes 13 innings to secure a 1-0 win. Freshman Brandon Lopez knocked in the winning run with a two-out single in the top of the last frame.

Eric Nedeljkovic entered as Miami’s fourth relief pitcher, and his scoreless work to close the game earned the senior his seventh save this season.

On Saturday at Shipley Field, David Thompson anchored the Miami lineup with timely hits in a 5-3 win.

Thompson – who crosses home plate for the only run in the series opener – launched a home run and a two-run double during his three-RBI performance.

The Hurricanes used another quality start from Bryan Radziewski (six innings, two earned runs) to clinch the series over the Terps.

However, Maryland (19-17, 5-13 ACC) prevented a sweep with its 7-2 win over Miami (24-15, 8-10 ACC) on Sunday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team rode a long winning streak into Friday’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, but the Tar Heels were too much for No. 10 Miami to handle.

Carolina grabbed the doubles point after Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar lost a 9-8 thriller. The Canes’ third tandem had several match points during the two-hour set.

Bolivar took the first singles point with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Tessa Lyons, but the top-ranked Tar Heels did not surrender another singles match.

Miami rebounded quickly, though, rounding back into form with a shutout of No. 9 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Clementina Riobueno engineered the best singles performance of the day. She took a 6-4, 4-3 lead on Duke’s Marianne Jodoin before the Canes clinched the win and the match went unfinished. Jodoin had won 21 straight.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...