Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports briefs: 4/15

Baseball

Miami went on the road to College Park this weekend and took two of three games from the Maryland Terrapins.

Chris Diaz turned in a solid outing on the mound Friday night, but it took the Hurricanes 13 innings to secure a 1-0 win. Freshman Brandon Lopez knocked in the winning run with a two-out single in the top of the last frame.

Eric Nedeljkovic entered as Miami’s fourth relief pitcher, and his scoreless work to close the game earned the senior his seventh save this season.

On Saturday at Shipley Field, David Thompson anchored the Miami lineup with timely hits in a 5-3 win.

Thompson – who crosses home plate for the only run in the series opener – launched a home run and a two-run double during his three-RBI performance.

The Hurricanes used another quality start from Bryan Radziewski (six innings, two earned runs) to clinch the series over the Terps.

However, Maryland (19-17, 5-13 ACC) prevented a sweep with its 7-2 win over Miami (24-15, 8-10 ACC) on Sunday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team rode a long winning streak into Friday’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, but the Tar Heels were too much for No. 10 Miami to handle.

Carolina grabbed the doubles point after Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar lost a 9-8 thriller. The Canes’ third tandem had several match points during the two-hour set.

Bolivar took the first singles point with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Tessa Lyons, but the top-ranked Tar Heels did not surrender another singles match.

Miami rebounded quickly, though, rounding back into form with a shutout of No. 9 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Clementina Riobueno engineered the best singles performance of the day. She took a 6-4, 4-3 lead on Duke’s Marianne Jodoin before the Canes clinched the win and the match went unfinished. Jodoin had won 21 straight.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...