Football, Sports, Tennis

Sports briefs: 4/15

Baseball

Miami went on the road to College Park this weekend and took two of three games from the Maryland Terrapins.

Chris Diaz turned in a solid outing on the mound Friday night, but it took the Hurricanes 13 innings to secure a 1-0 win. Freshman Brandon Lopez knocked in the winning run with a two-out single in the top of the last frame.

Eric Nedeljkovic entered as Miami’s fourth relief pitcher, and his scoreless work to close the game earned the senior his seventh save this season.

On Saturday at Shipley Field, David Thompson anchored the Miami lineup with timely hits in a 5-3 win.

Thompson – who crosses home plate for the only run in the series opener – launched a home run and a two-run double during his three-RBI performance.

The Hurricanes used another quality start from Bryan Radziewski (six innings, two earned runs) to clinch the series over the Terps.

However, Maryland (19-17, 5-13 ACC) prevented a sweep with its 7-2 win over Miami (24-15, 8-10 ACC) on Sunday.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team rode a long winning streak into Friday’s matchup with No. 1 North Carolina, but the Tar Heels were too much for No. 10 Miami to handle.

Carolina grabbed the doubles point after Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar lost a 9-8 thriller. The Canes’ third tandem had several match points during the two-hour set.

Bolivar took the first singles point with her 6-2, 6-2 win over Tessa Lyons, but the top-ranked Tar Heels did not surrender another singles match.

Miami rebounded quickly, though, rounding back into form with a shutout of No. 9 Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Clementina Riobueno engineered the best singles performance of the day. She took a 6-4, 4-3 lead on Duke’s Marianne Jodoin before the Canes clinched the win and the match went unfinished. Jodoin had won 21 straight.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...