News Briefs: 4/15

Orange Fest

Applications for a position on the Orange Festival Executive Board are being accepted until 5 p.m. Friday. The Orange Festival is an annual campus-wide event in March to celebrate the orange tree, the inspiration for the university’s colors. The day celebrates UM’s history and the importance of various traditions. Applications can be found at tinyurl.com/OFestApp2014 and emailed to UMOrangeFestival@gmail.com.

Locks of Love

The Volunteer Link is hosting Locks of Love on Monday in the University Center beginning at 10 a.m. Students can sign up for a haircut at thevolunteerlink.com/schedule.php. There are limited spots still available, and walk-ins will be accepted on a space-available basis. Haircuts are free for students who donate six inches of hair or more. Otherwise haircuts are $10 for males and $15 for females.

Basketball

Category 5, the spirit programming board, is hosting a Men’s Basketball Thank You Ceremony 8 p.m. Wednesday on the Rock. Students are invited to come out for a video presentation with all the basketball players and coaches. The team will be presented with a plaque and a basketball signed by the students in attendance to give the basketball team recognition for a historical season.

Sharks

Dr. Neil Hammerschlag, shark researcher and UM professor, spoke with the host of Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet show on Thursday about the university’s shark research with the R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program. He discussed the social interactions of white sharks when they scavenge on whales.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...