News Briefs: 4/15

Orange Fest

Applications for a position on the Orange Festival Executive Board are being accepted until 5 p.m. Friday. The Orange Festival is an annual campus-wide event in March to celebrate the orange tree, the inspiration for the university’s colors. The day celebrates UM’s history and the importance of various traditions. Applications can be found at tinyurl.com/OFestApp2014 and emailed to UMOrangeFestival@gmail.com.

Locks of Love

The Volunteer Link is hosting Locks of Love on Monday in the University Center beginning at 10 a.m. Students can sign up for a haircut at thevolunteerlink.com/schedule.php. There are limited spots still available, and walk-ins will be accepted on a space-available basis. Haircuts are free for students who donate six inches of hair or more. Otherwise haircuts are $10 for males and $15 for females.

Basketball

Category 5, the spirit programming board, is hosting a Men’s Basketball Thank You Ceremony 8 p.m. Wednesday on the Rock. Students are invited to come out for a video presentation with all the basketball players and coaches. The team will be presented with a plaque and a basketball signed by the students in attendance to give the basketball team recognition for a historical season.

Sharks

Dr. Neil Hammerschlag, shark researcher and UM professor, spoke with the host of Discovery Channel’s Daily Planet show on Thursday about the university’s shark research with the R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program. He discussed the social interactions of white sharks when they scavenge on whales.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...