Campus Life, News

Hurricon’s anime celebration transforms campus

Sophomore Vienna Sa serves snacks as a part of the Maid's Cafe at the Hurry Con on Sunday. Maid's Cafes are cosplay restaurants, traditionally found in Japan where the servants dress as French maids. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Vienna Sa serves snacks as a part of the Maid’s Cafe at the Hurry Con on Sunday. Maid’s Cafes are cosplay restaurants, traditionally found in Japan where the servants dress as French maids. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

The sounds of karaoke singers, all dressed in anime attire, replaced the UC Sunday humdrum for the second annual Miami Hurricon led by the Anime Club.

“There are people who have come as far as Gainesville,” said Ashu Joshi, the president of the Anime Club.

Hurricon celebrated the Japanese cultural art form anime, which has been made popular through graphic novels and television shows. Well-known anime includes Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Fans of other cultural staples like BBC’s “Doctor Who” attended as well.

A main experience of Hurricon is “cosplay,” in which attendees dress as their favorite characters and participate in a costume contest. Freshman Matias Stanham was dressed as Ash Ketchum, the main character from the Pokemon series.

“It was the easiest costume to put together and what I could borrow from my friends,” he said. “I went to the Pokemon trivia for the experience.”

Other events included a video game room in the iLounge, where gamers put their Nintendo and PlayStation skills to the test, and various vendors selling original crafts and fan-gear.

Angie Bousalis, the former president of the Anime Club, ran a booth and was excited to see how this year’s executive board carried out the event she helped found.

“They are much more efficient this year and fixed last year’s problems like registration flow,” she said. “And we sold quite a bit last year.”

Last year, 600 participants attended and increased to this year’s estimated 1,000 costumed fans, Joshi said. The preparation for Hurricon begins at the onset of the spring semester and involves finding sponsorships to donate prizes and provide support, finding speakers in the community to talk about trends in anime, and acquiring sources of funding.

Rachelle Mariano, the club’s treasurer, prepared the budget and was grateful for the help that the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) and Florida Supercon gave.

“We received over $1,000 from SAFAC, which helped us,” Mariano said. “And Florida Supercon has a been a major support.”

Mariano believes that Hurricon’s appeal is that it is an entirely student-run event and for no profit.

“We put our heart and soul into it,” she said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...