Campus Life, News

Hurricon’s anime celebration transforms campus

Sophomore Vienna Sa serves snacks as a part of the Maid's Cafe at the Hurry Con on Sunday. Maid's Cafes are cosplay restaurants, traditionally found in Japan where the servants dress as French maids. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Sophomore Vienna Sa serves snacks as a part of the Maid’s Cafe at the Hurry Con on Sunday. Maid’s Cafes are cosplay restaurants, traditionally found in Japan where the servants dress as French maids. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

The sounds of karaoke singers, all dressed in anime attire, replaced the UC Sunday humdrum for the second annual Miami Hurricon led by the Anime Club.

“There are people who have come as far as Gainesville,” said Ashu Joshi, the president of the Anime Club.

Hurricon celebrated the Japanese cultural art form anime, which has been made popular through graphic novels and television shows. Well-known anime includes Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Fans of other cultural staples like BBC’s “Doctor Who” attended as well.

A main experience of Hurricon is “cosplay,” in which attendees dress as their favorite characters and participate in a costume contest. Freshman Matias Stanham was dressed as Ash Ketchum, the main character from the Pokemon series.

“It was the easiest costume to put together and what I could borrow from my friends,” he said. “I went to the Pokemon trivia for the experience.”

Other events included a video game room in the iLounge, where gamers put their Nintendo and PlayStation skills to the test, and various vendors selling original crafts and fan-gear.

Angie Bousalis, the former president of the Anime Club, ran a booth and was excited to see how this year’s executive board carried out the event she helped found.

“They are much more efficient this year and fixed last year’s problems like registration flow,” she said. “And we sold quite a bit last year.”

Last year, 600 participants attended and increased to this year’s estimated 1,000 costumed fans, Joshi said. The preparation for Hurricon begins at the onset of the spring semester and involves finding sponsorships to donate prizes and provide support, finding speakers in the community to talk about trends in anime, and acquiring sources of funding.

Rachelle Mariano, the club’s treasurer, prepared the budget and was grateful for the help that the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) and Florida Supercon gave.

“We received over $1,000 from SAFAC, which helped us,” Mariano said. “And Florida Supercon has a been a major support.”

Mariano believes that Hurricon’s appeal is that it is an entirely student-run event and for no profit.

“We put our heart and soul into it,” she said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...