V's Take

Dear V: Will I ever find my Tom Hanks?…

V ,

I want my life to be a romantic comedy. I want to find love on top of the Empire State Building or through the magic of inexplicable circumstances. Is this so hard to ask? Why can’t my life be a rom-com?

Meg Ryan Save Me

Meg Ryan Stalker,

I myself also envy the romantic comedy lifestyle. Logic doesn’t apply, and moonlight causes magic to happen. The magic of finding your soul mate on the Empire State Building or having breakfast by Tiffany’s would make the best man’s speech at your wedding memorable and worthy of a TLC episode.

But unfortunately, romantic comedies are written with the intention that they’re not real. They are meant to inspire people to search for love, but they have such unrealistic expectations that one can get caught up in a storm of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Confusing the exaggeration of a comedy with the passions of a romantic tale causes audiences to believe that they can find happiness that way.

I recommend watching films that mimic the same effects of the romantic comedy but are in tune with reality. “Juno” was definitely a transition because Michael Cera and the lovable Ellen Page learn that having a child brings people together more than any New York landmark. And “500 Days of Summer” teaches us that love can be temporary and happily ever after is not always the fairy-tale forever.

But maybe this suggestion will get the rom-com funk out of your system. Try to live out a romantic comedy. Set up a time and date with film students and write your own rendition. You might find that during the process, your on-screen DiCaprio or Depp might be the next eligible groom at your “27 Dresses” wedding.

This filming will also help you realize that behind every rom-com, there is a writer, director and camera crew that amps the facade of that first kiss that totally ruins girls’ expectations of guys. There are guys who are romantics, but they are not as fueled by the film industry.

But I admire your way of living in this Meg Ryan-Tom Hanks world because few are willing to admit that life can just be a little bit more comedic, less logical and magically eventful.

Advice Columnist

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...