V's Take

Dear V: Will I ever find my Tom Hanks?…

V ,

I want my life to be a romantic comedy. I want to find love on top of the Empire State Building or through the magic of inexplicable circumstances. Is this so hard to ask? Why can’t my life be a rom-com?

Meg Ryan Save Me

Meg Ryan Stalker,

I myself also envy the romantic comedy lifestyle. Logic doesn’t apply, and moonlight causes magic to happen. The magic of finding your soul mate on the Empire State Building or having breakfast by Tiffany’s would make the best man’s speech at your wedding memorable and worthy of a TLC episode.

But unfortunately, romantic comedies are written with the intention that they’re not real. They are meant to inspire people to search for love, but they have such unrealistic expectations that one can get caught up in a storm of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Confusing the exaggeration of a comedy with the passions of a romantic tale causes audiences to believe that they can find happiness that way.

I recommend watching films that mimic the same effects of the romantic comedy but are in tune with reality. “Juno” was definitely a transition because Michael Cera and the lovable Ellen Page learn that having a child brings people together more than any New York landmark. And “500 Days of Summer” teaches us that love can be temporary and happily ever after is not always the fairy-tale forever.

But maybe this suggestion will get the rom-com funk out of your system. Try to live out a romantic comedy. Set up a time and date with film students and write your own rendition. You might find that during the process, your on-screen DiCaprio or Depp might be the next eligible groom at your “27 Dresses” wedding.

This filming will also help you realize that behind every rom-com, there is a writer, director and camera crew that amps the facade of that first kiss that totally ruins girls’ expectations of guys. There are guys who are romantics, but they are not as fueled by the film industry.

But I admire your way of living in this Meg Ryan-Tom Hanks world because few are willing to admit that life can just be a little bit more comedic, less logical and magically eventful.

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...