V's Take

Dear V: Will I ever find my Tom Hanks?…

V ,

I want my life to be a romantic comedy. I want to find love on top of the Empire State Building or through the magic of inexplicable circumstances. Is this so hard to ask? Why can’t my life be a rom-com?

Meg Ryan Save Me

Meg Ryan Stalker,

I myself also envy the romantic comedy lifestyle. Logic doesn’t apply, and moonlight causes magic to happen. The magic of finding your soul mate on the Empire State Building or having breakfast by Tiffany’s would make the best man’s speech at your wedding memorable and worthy of a TLC episode.

But unfortunately, romantic comedies are written with the intention that they’re not real. They are meant to inspire people to search for love, but they have such unrealistic expectations that one can get caught up in a storm of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Confusing the exaggeration of a comedy with the passions of a romantic tale causes audiences to believe that they can find happiness that way.

I recommend watching films that mimic the same effects of the romantic comedy but are in tune with reality. “Juno” was definitely a transition because Michael Cera and the lovable Ellen Page learn that having a child brings people together more than any New York landmark. And “500 Days of Summer” teaches us that love can be temporary and happily ever after is not always the fairy-tale forever.

But maybe this suggestion will get the rom-com funk out of your system. Try to live out a romantic comedy. Set up a time and date with film students and write your own rendition. You might find that during the process, your on-screen DiCaprio or Depp might be the next eligible groom at your “27 Dresses” wedding.

This filming will also help you realize that behind every rom-com, there is a writer, director and camera crew that amps the facade of that first kiss that totally ruins girls’ expectations of guys. There are guys who are romantics, but they are not as fueled by the film industry.

But I admire your way of living in this Meg Ryan-Tom Hanks world because few are willing to admit that life can just be a little bit more comedic, less logical and magically eventful.

Advice Columnist

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...