Community, News

Wendy Walk carries legacy of liposarcoma fighter

Wendy Landes, the symbol for the annual Wendy Walk that raises funds for liposarcoma, passed away this March.

“She was an incredible human being,” said Alex Norton, a member of the Wendy Walk executive board. “She lived life to the fullest and never pitied herself.”

A memorial service for Landes will be held before the walk begins at 11 a.m. Sunday in Palm Island Park in Miami Beach. With 400 participants already pre-registered, Norton anticipates that 700 participants will attend compared to last year’s 500 participants.

The Wendy Walk and the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative are the only two international efforts that raise money for liposarcoma research. Liposarcoma is a rare form of tissue cancer that results in the growth of malignant soft tissue tumors, usually in the abdominal cavity and extremities. The disease has no cure, but its symptoms are treatable.

The walk is held annually in New York City, Los Angeles and Miami. Landes’ three kids each lead one of the three walks. Senior Jackie Landes hosts the Miami run and won the UM Student Distinction Award for her efforts in Wendy Walk. Throughout the walk’s four years, the siblings have raised $1.3 million.

“We’re more determined to make it bigger,” Norton said. “We’re fighting for Wendy’s memory and the others who live with liposarcoma.”

Free transportation from Stanford Drive will be available for students attending the Wendy Walk. The results of a silent auction will be announced at an after party in Brickell.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...