Community, News

Wendy Walk carries legacy of liposarcoma fighter

Wendy Landes, the symbol for the annual Wendy Walk that raises funds for liposarcoma, passed away this March.

“She was an incredible human being,” said Alex Norton, a member of the Wendy Walk executive board. “She lived life to the fullest and never pitied herself.”

A memorial service for Landes will be held before the walk begins at 11 a.m. Sunday in Palm Island Park in Miami Beach. With 400 participants already pre-registered, Norton anticipates that 700 participants will attend compared to last year’s 500 participants.

The Wendy Walk and the Liddy Shriver Sarcoma Initiative are the only two international efforts that raise money for liposarcoma research. Liposarcoma is a rare form of tissue cancer that results in the growth of malignant soft tissue tumors, usually in the abdominal cavity and extremities. The disease has no cure, but its symptoms are treatable.

The walk is held annually in New York City, Los Angeles and Miami. Landes’ three kids each lead one of the three walks. Senior Jackie Landes hosts the Miami run and won the UM Student Distinction Award for her efforts in Wendy Walk. Throughout the walk’s four years, the siblings have raised $1.3 million.

“We’re more determined to make it bigger,” Norton said. “We’re fighting for Wendy’s memory and the others who live with liposarcoma.”

Free transportation from Stanford Drive will be available for students attending the Wendy Walk. The results of a silent auction will be announced at an after party in Brickell.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...