Staff Editorial 4/8: Clear path to citizenship needed

Congress has returned from its spring break, and immigration is ready to be addressed. The “Gang of Eight” – four Democrats and four Republicans – will be presenting a bipartisan plan that attempts to resolve the status of 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.

In Miami, thousands of individuals marched through Little Havana and Downtown on Saturday, advocating for Congress to grant a clear path to citizenship for these undocumented men, women and children who want to begin a new life in America. Many other immigration rallies are taking place throughout the country.

Immigration has been a hot topic for several years, especially now that more families continue to travel to the U.S. in search of the American Dream. A large majority of these immigrants travel to America illegally and are not able to properly apply for a work visa or citizenship.

However, there are others who have migrated legally, but do not want to wait the decades it could take to be granted citizenship. Residency and work visas are also a process that many don’t bother applying for. Therefore, they are left to work under the table. This means no health insurance, paid vacation days, maternity leave or disability.

The majority of the editorial staff at The Miami Hurricane is comprised of immigrants, children of immigrants or grandchildren of immigrants. We’ve seen or heard about the struggles and sacrifices our families have had to make in order to make a decent living.

It isn’t easy to leave the country you were born in. You don’t just pack your bags and get on the next plane to your desired destination. The majority of immigrants come to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes they are wearing and the people they love – if they are lucky.

The risk immigrants take by leaving their countries outweighs the benefits. And upon arrival, nothing is guaranteed.

They leave their countries to live in a nation where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a right, not a privilege. They leave their countries to find a place to call home.

Although the U.S. isn’t a theme park that can be open to everyone to come and go as they please, it can be a place that immigrants who are already here can reside in. Hopefully, Congress can resolve this issue once and for all for a better America – a better future.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...