Staff Editorial 4/8: Clear path to citizenship needed

Congress has returned from its spring break, and immigration is ready to be addressed. The “Gang of Eight” – four Democrats and four Republicans – will be presenting a bipartisan plan that attempts to resolve the status of 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.

In Miami, thousands of individuals marched through Little Havana and Downtown on Saturday, advocating for Congress to grant a clear path to citizenship for these undocumented men, women and children who want to begin a new life in America. Many other immigration rallies are taking place throughout the country.

Immigration has been a hot topic for several years, especially now that more families continue to travel to the U.S. in search of the American Dream. A large majority of these immigrants travel to America illegally and are not able to properly apply for a work visa or citizenship.

However, there are others who have migrated legally, but do not want to wait the decades it could take to be granted citizenship. Residency and work visas are also a process that many don’t bother applying for. Therefore, they are left to work under the table. This means no health insurance, paid vacation days, maternity leave or disability.

The majority of the editorial staff at The Miami Hurricane is comprised of immigrants, children of immigrants or grandchildren of immigrants. We’ve seen or heard about the struggles and sacrifices our families have had to make in order to make a decent living.

It isn’t easy to leave the country you were born in. You don’t just pack your bags and get on the next plane to your desired destination. The majority of immigrants come to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes they are wearing and the people they love – if they are lucky.

The risk immigrants take by leaving their countries outweighs the benefits. And upon arrival, nothing is guaranteed.

They leave their countries to live in a nation where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a right, not a privilege. They leave their countries to find a place to call home.

Although the U.S. isn’t a theme park that can be open to everyone to come and go as they please, it can be a place that immigrants who are already here can reside in. Hopefully, Congress can resolve this issue once and for all for a better America – a better future.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...