Staff Editorial 4/8: Clear path to citizenship needed

Congress has returned from its spring break, and immigration is ready to be addressed. The “Gang of Eight” – four Democrats and four Republicans – will be presenting a bipartisan plan that attempts to resolve the status of 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.

In Miami, thousands of individuals marched through Little Havana and Downtown on Saturday, advocating for Congress to grant a clear path to citizenship for these undocumented men, women and children who want to begin a new life in America. Many other immigration rallies are taking place throughout the country.

Immigration has been a hot topic for several years, especially now that more families continue to travel to the U.S. in search of the American Dream. A large majority of these immigrants travel to America illegally and are not able to properly apply for a work visa or citizenship.

However, there are others who have migrated legally, but do not want to wait the decades it could take to be granted citizenship. Residency and work visas are also a process that many don’t bother applying for. Therefore, they are left to work under the table. This means no health insurance, paid vacation days, maternity leave or disability.

The majority of the editorial staff at The Miami Hurricane is comprised of immigrants, children of immigrants or grandchildren of immigrants. We’ve seen or heard about the struggles and sacrifices our families have had to make in order to make a decent living.

It isn’t easy to leave the country you were born in. You don’t just pack your bags and get on the next plane to your desired destination. The majority of immigrants come to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes they are wearing and the people they love – if they are lucky.

The risk immigrants take by leaving their countries outweighs the benefits. And upon arrival, nothing is guaranteed.

They leave their countries to live in a nation where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is a right, not a privilege. They leave their countries to find a place to call home.

Although the U.S. isn’t a theme park that can be open to everyone to come and go as they please, it can be a place that immigrants who are already here can reside in. Hopefully, Congress can resolve this issue once and for all for a better America – a better future.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...