Seeking alternative funds for tuition

Over the past few years, there has been a steady rise in tuition and a decline in financial aid. Unfortunately, this is going to continue.

When looking at your financial aid package this summer, you may see that the dollar amount of scholarships and grants that you usually receive has decreased, or your aid is just not stretching as far as it used to. But, loan options will never be missing.

“Take out loans” is a common phrase that students hear when talking to their financial advisors. But, loans should not be a first resort because there are other ways to pay for your tuition.

Working on campus or in the community to offset your expenses is one way. It’s not ideal, but if you’re really serious about graduating with as little debt as possible, you will do whatever you need to do to make it happen.

Donations are another way to fund your education. There are many websites dedicated to this, and setting up an account is relatively easy. Family and friends are usually willing to help in anyway they can.

The scholarship search shouldn’t stop once you get to college. There are scholarship search engine websites such as fastweb.com and scholarships.com that are extremely helpful. It’s as simple as filling out an online profile with your academic history, demographics and other miscellaneous information. Then the site matches you with several scholarships that fit your description.

Google is another way to find grants and scholarships in the community, as well as checking on our university website. Several organizations may also be giving out some free money.

If you never ask, the answer will always be no.

If you want to get through your undergraduate degree with the least amount of debt, creativity and persistence can make that happen.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...