Seeking alternative funds for tuition

Over the past few years, there has been a steady rise in tuition and a decline in financial aid. Unfortunately, this is going to continue.

When looking at your financial aid package this summer, you may see that the dollar amount of scholarships and grants that you usually receive has decreased, or your aid is just not stretching as far as it used to. But, loan options will never be missing.

“Take out loans” is a common phrase that students hear when talking to their financial advisors. But, loans should not be a first resort because there are other ways to pay for your tuition.

Working on campus or in the community to offset your expenses is one way. It’s not ideal, but if you’re really serious about graduating with as little debt as possible, you will do whatever you need to do to make it happen.

Donations are another way to fund your education. There are many websites dedicated to this, and setting up an account is relatively easy. Family and friends are usually willing to help in anyway they can.

The scholarship search shouldn’t stop once you get to college. There are scholarship search engine websites such as fastweb.com and scholarships.com that are extremely helpful. It’s as simple as filling out an online profile with your academic history, demographics and other miscellaneous information. Then the site matches you with several scholarships that fit your description.

Google is another way to find grants and scholarships in the community, as well as checking on our university website. Several organizations may also be giving out some free money.

If you never ask, the answer will always be no.

If you want to get through your undergraduate degree with the least amount of debt, creativity and persistence can make that happen.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...