News Briefs 4/11

Petition

The University of Miami’s Student Government (SG) has collected more than 2,000 signatures in the petition circulating to begin work on the University Metrorail Station Pedestrian Overpass project. The petition signatures are aimed at the Coral Gables University Centre Plaza owners, who have rejected $1.8 million in exchange for the five parking spaces at the plaza needed to start the project. The Ashley Kelly Pedestrian Bridge would be built at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court. It was proposed in 2006 after the death of UM student Ashley Kelly eight years ago. To sign the petition, visit tinyurl.com/us1overpass.

Memorial

A memorial for the eighth anniversary of the death of UM student Ashley Kelly will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at the University Metrorail stop in order to bring attention to the issue and ask the community to sign the petition being circulated by Student Government. Student leaders will speak in support of having the University Centre Plaza owners reconsider their decision. Kelly’s parents will also be in attendance. For more information about the event, email SG Chief of Staff Mike Piacentino at m.piacentino@umiami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...