News Briefs 4/11

Petition

The University of Miami’s Student Government (SG) has collected more than 2,000 signatures in the petition circulating to begin work on the University Metrorail Station Pedestrian Overpass project. The petition signatures are aimed at the Coral Gables University Centre Plaza owners, who have rejected $1.8 million in exchange for the five parking spaces at the plaza needed to start the project. The Ashley Kelly Pedestrian Bridge would be built at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court. It was proposed in 2006 after the death of UM student Ashley Kelly eight years ago. To sign the petition, visit tinyurl.com/us1overpass.

Memorial

A memorial for the eighth anniversary of the death of UM student Ashley Kelly will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at the University Metrorail stop in order to bring attention to the issue and ask the community to sign the petition being circulated by Student Government. Student leaders will speak in support of having the University Centre Plaza owners reconsider their decision. Kelly’s parents will also be in attendance. For more information about the event, email SG Chief of Staff Mike Piacentino at m.piacentino@umiami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...