News Briefs 4/11

Petition

The University of Miami’s Student Government (SG) has collected more than 2,000 signatures in the petition circulating to begin work on the University Metrorail Station Pedestrian Overpass project. The petition signatures are aimed at the Coral Gables University Centre Plaza owners, who have rejected $1.8 million in exchange for the five parking spaces at the plaza needed to start the project. The Ashley Kelly Pedestrian Bridge would be built at the intersection of U.S. 1 and Mariposa Court. It was proposed in 2006 after the death of UM student Ashley Kelly eight years ago. To sign the petition, visit tinyurl.com/us1overpass.

Memorial

A memorial for the eighth anniversary of the death of UM student Ashley Kelly will be held at 4 p.m. Friday at the University Metrorail stop in order to bring attention to the issue and ask the community to sign the petition being circulated by Student Government. Student leaders will speak in support of having the University Centre Plaza owners reconsider their decision. Kelly’s parents will also be in attendance. For more information about the event, email SG Chief of Staff Mike Piacentino at m.piacentino@umiami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...