Entrepreneur creates collaboration website

Senior Steven Reubenstone created the professional counterpart to the popular dating website eHarmony.com with Collaborizm.

“Collaborizm is a lot like eHarmony in the sense that, except we’re matching collaborators instead of romantic partners,” he said.

With the help of the LaunchPad, Reubenstone created Collaborizm, which matches prospective entrepreneurs together.

The word “Collaborizm” is a combination of the words “mechanism” and “collaborate.”

Reubenstone found that social media sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn are inefficient and impractical because they introduce people, but do not offer a platform for collaboration.

“Introduction isn’t collaboration,” he said. “It’s just the precursor.”

Similar to eHarmony and other online dating services, Collaborizm connects people based on their skill sets, age, lifestyle, proximity and education-level.

Collaborizm is meant to be playful and creative, but simultaneously have proper functionalities such as uploading, downloading, messaging and even setting up intellectual property contracts and agreements among collaborators.

Reubenstone said that his major in mechanical engineering inspired him to develop Collaborizm.

“It was difficult for me to find and collaborate with different types of engineers on campus, let alone find a business or art student in my proximity,” he said. “This solves that problem.”

Reubenstone unveiled Collaborizm for the first time at the South by SouthWest (SXSW) conference in March.

“We had a great response,” he said. “About 500 people could see the platform and play with it.”

But Reubenstone is working with the LaunchPad to determine Collaborizm’s target audience.

“You need to market to a specific group of people and show how it’s going to provide value for them,” said Will Silverman, director of the LaunchPad.

Reubenstone said that this target market could include a young entrepreneur like himself, or a 38-year-old engineer looking to collaborate with a young artist, for example.

“We want to learn who our ideal customer base will be when we first launch,” Reubenstone said.

Collaborizm may even be useful to other users of the LaunchPad.

“We promote the idea that entrepreneurship is a legitimate career choice, regardless of your major,” Silverman said. “You don’t need to work for employers if you have idea you can make a job for yourself.”

Collaborizm has not officially launched but is taking registrants’ email addresses on the website Collaborizm.com for those who are interested in participating in the beta phase launch in two months.

Sam Abbassi

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...