Campus should exercise civic duty

The 2012 elections may be over, but our work is not done yet. Tuesday is Election Day for Coral Gables, and I urge you to stay civically engaged and vote. In essence, all politics are local, and we have the chance to make a difference.

Ross Hancock is running for group two city commissioner, and he is the best candidate to represent the needs of University of Miami students.

Ross gets it. He’s run in our district before and has visited our campus dozens of times in the last few years. UM students have his ear when it comes to policy initiatives, including a student advisory board.

When Ross ran for state representative, he fought to make college more affordable. Ross supports the overpass at U.S. 1 and Mariposa that can save student lives.

He supports equal representation for all Coral Gables residents regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.

He backs a progressive drug policy that allows police to focus on real crime and not non-violent offenders.

Ross believes in creating a sustainable economy and environment. He best reflects the values of UM and the Coral Gables community.

Ross has been endorsed by several organizations, such as the Sierra Club, SAVE Dade, Democracy for America and Commissioner Maria Anderson. We are honored to add our name to this list.

Ross will be a great city commissioner and an even better representative of the UM community.

Jordan Lewis is the president of the Young and College Democrats. 

Jordan Lewis

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...