Campus should exercise civic duty

The 2012 elections may be over, but our work is not done yet. Tuesday is Election Day for Coral Gables, and I urge you to stay civically engaged and vote. In essence, all politics are local, and we have the chance to make a difference.

Ross Hancock is running for group two city commissioner, and he is the best candidate to represent the needs of University of Miami students.

Ross gets it. He’s run in our district before and has visited our campus dozens of times in the last few years. UM students have his ear when it comes to policy initiatives, including a student advisory board.

When Ross ran for state representative, he fought to make college more affordable. Ross supports the overpass at U.S. 1 and Mariposa that can save student lives.

He supports equal representation for all Coral Gables residents regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.

He backs a progressive drug policy that allows police to focus on real crime and not non-violent offenders.

Ross believes in creating a sustainable economy and environment. He best reflects the values of UM and the Coral Gables community.

Ross has been endorsed by several organizations, such as the Sierra Club, SAVE Dade, Democracy for America and Commissioner Maria Anderson. We are honored to add our name to this list.

Ross will be a great city commissioner and an even better representative of the UM community.

Jordan Lewis is the president of the Young and College Democrats. 

Jordan Lewis

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...