Campus should exercise civic duty

The 2012 elections may be over, but our work is not done yet. Tuesday is Election Day for Coral Gables, and I urge you to stay civically engaged and vote. In essence, all politics are local, and we have the chance to make a difference.

Ross Hancock is running for group two city commissioner, and he is the best candidate to represent the needs of University of Miami students.

Ross gets it. He’s run in our district before and has visited our campus dozens of times in the last few years. UM students have his ear when it comes to policy initiatives, including a student advisory board.

When Ross ran for state representative, he fought to make college more affordable. Ross supports the overpass at U.S. 1 and Mariposa that can save student lives.

He supports equal representation for all Coral Gables residents regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.

He backs a progressive drug policy that allows police to focus on real crime and not non-violent offenders.

Ross believes in creating a sustainable economy and environment. He best reflects the values of UM and the Coral Gables community.

Ross has been endorsed by several organizations, such as the Sierra Club, SAVE Dade, Democracy for America and Commissioner Maria Anderson. We are honored to add our name to this list.

Ross will be a great city commissioner and an even better representative of the UM community.

Jordan Lewis is the president of the Young and College Democrats. 

Jordan Lewis

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...