Edge, Movies

Brigitte Bardot film series brings classics to Cosford

EDGE_Bardot

Tousled blonde hair, a voluptuous pout and glimmering eyes are the centerpiece for Ph.D. candidate Ricardo Zulueta’s two-part film series on legendary French film star Brigitte Bardot at the Cosford Cinema.

“Adored not only as an actress, but also as a fashion icon, recording artist and international sex symbol, Ms. Bardot’s star image extends beyond the big screen,” Zulueta told the audience March 28 at the first of  two screening sessions for “Ms. Bardot: Liberated Post War Sex Symbol and Style Icon.”

Zulueta chose the film “Come Dance With Me” to kick off the series. After the screening, viewers discussed the importance of Bardot.

“I hadn’t seen her films before this, but knew who she was,” freshman Rori Kotch said. “After watching the film, though, I can see how she revolutionized how women are portrayed in films with her natural undone beauty.”

The second part of the mini-series will screen Thursday, showcasing two of Bardot’s other films, “Her Bridal Night” at 7 p.m. and “Mademoiselle Striptease” at 9 p.m.

Zulueta’s project is a part of a larger series hosted by the Norton Herrick Center for Motion Picture Studies called “Out of the Vault: European Cult Classics.” In this series, Ph.D. candidates in the cinema department are invited to curate films in the Herrick archives that didn’t get a lot of exposure.

“There are 3,500 titles of movies, and there is a library with outdated technology that we’re in the process of digitizing,” said professor Christina Lane, the center’s director.

The Herrick archive, which was acquired by the School of Communication in 2010, has a variety of films including old films and what some may call “B” films.

“These films aren’t usually critically acclaimed, and we are discussing their cultural and historical value,” said Trae DeLellis, director of Cosford Cinema operations.

Zulueta chose the films he’s screening from the collection because they highlight Bardot in her early, rarely-screened, pre-Nouvelle Vague (French New Wave) movie roles. Nouvelle Vague films were films made by young French directors such as Jean-Luc Godard in the 1950s and 1960s.

“With her rebellious attitude and rejection of social constraints, B.B. [Bardot] anticipated the rise of the French New Wave film movement,” Zulueta said. “She signaled the advent of a newly emancipated woman that would soon herald a cultural revolution whose effects would leave an indelible mark on cinema forever.”

Bardot began her acting career in 1952, but her breakout role came in “And God Created Woman” in 1956. Bardot was best known for her relaxed style and natural beauty.

“A lot of UM students don’t know much about her, but she was bigger than Angelina Jolie during her time,” Lane said. “It’s interesting to take a look back to reappraise her symbolic value in today’s perspective because she was powerful in the days before second-wave feminism in the 1970s.”

Bardot retired from acting in 1973 and has rarely been in the spotlight since then.

“We didn’t get to see her age since she shied away from the spotlight, kind of like Greta Garbo,” DeLellis said. “Other stars like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean died young, and she didn’t have that. So she had to shy away.”

Megan McCrink

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...