News, Profiles

Alumnus launches EDM-inspired clothing line

Last year, Ryan Simone was struggling with what many college seniors are struggling with today – finding a job after graduation. But last year during his senior year at UM, Simone embraced his inner entrepreneur when he came up with an idea for his EDM-inspired clothing line, Ravee Apparel.

Simone’s inspiration for Ravee Apparel (RA) came after losing his phone at Ultra Music Festival two years in a row.

“Frustrated, I wanted to develop a way to better secure my valuables,” he said. “I came to realize it wasn’t just at Ultra – the gym, beach, tailgates – I was stuck juggling these items.”

The Morristown, N.J., native found that after four years in Miami, tank tops became a staple in his wardrobe.

“Developing one with nonvisible zipper compartments seemed like a great idea,” Simone said. “After a year of hard work and bringing my roommate, Andreas King-Geovanis, on board, Ravee Apparel is open for business.”

Ravee Apparel combines style and function.

“Two hidden zipper compartments allow you to secure your keys, wallet, smartphone and any other belongings,” Simone said. “Best of all, our pockets don’t bulge or flop around so you can keep your hands free and valuables safe.”

Especially since he graduated last May, Simone attributes much of his company’s success to his UM education.

“UM’s diverse student body has taught me to approach a problem from several different perspectives,” Simone said.

The student body has not only influenced his problem solving, but also driven his business, whose “target market consists of active, college-aged individuals,” Simone said.

Simone was an economics major in the School of Business with a minor in art history.

“In the business school, I took several marketing classes that have helped immensely,” he said.

But it wasn’t just what he learned in the classroom that brought Ravee to life. Simone took advantage of the resources around him and turned to the LaunchPad for help. The LaunchPad gave him the initial framework to turn his idea into a prototype and eventually a business.

“My adviser helped me develop a step-by-step plan to find production, file for patents, and bring my product to market,” he said. “Far more valuable, the LaunchPad gave me the confidence to pursue entrepreneurship as a career. Without their guidance, I doubt Ravee Apparel would be open today.”

After launching the company last week through Kickstarter.com, a crowd-funding platform, Ravee is quickly approaching $10,000 in orders from around the world.

For its next step, Ravee is looking to expand to retail stores.

“Right now we are working on a few potential deals with retailers in South Beach and Atlantic City, N.J.,” Simone said.

Ravee offers a variety of designs and graphics that can be viewed on its webpage. In addition to pre-made designs, the company can also offer custom designs and prints for fraternities, sororities and any other organization looking for this sort of apparel.

“Through dye sublimation printing, our designs won’t crack or fade like traditional silk-screened clothing,” Simone said.

Skylar Frisch

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...