Edge, Reviews, Theater

“Priscilla” brings glitter, disco music, laughs to Arsht Center

Drag queens, disco music and debauchery, oh my!

The Broadway tour of “Priscilla: Queen of the Desert” is rolling into the Adrienne Arsht Center and audiences are guaranteed a fun and fabulous evening. The show, which is based on a 1994 Australian cult movie, is running from Thursday to Sunday in the Ziff Ballet Opera House.

The musical comedy tells the story of two drag queens – Anthony “Tick” Belrose who goes by the stage name Mitzi, and Adam Whitely who goes by Felicia – and a transsexual, Bernadette. The trio takes a road trip across the Australian Outback in a ramshackle pink camper, which they christen Priscilla, to play a show in a remote desert spring.  Misadventures and laughs follow, all set to an irresistibly catchy, thumping disco soundtrack.

The entire show is an outrageously fun and raunchy two-and-a-half-hour parade of wacky costumes, outrageous wigs and exquisite eye candy. The audience was showered with ribbons, sparkles and Ping-Pong balls and it was simply impossible not to smile, laugh and sing along.

Despite the colorful chaos, Chris Klink, Bryan West and Scott Willis, who play Tick, Felicia, and Bernadette respectively, easily shined. Their Australians accents were smooth and their singing even better.

Klink, who is the understudy for Tick, perfectly embodied a drag queen undergoing a midlife crisis. Willis played his character Bernadette’s budding relationship with mechanic Bob, played by Joe Hart, with a warm and tender touch. West sparkled as the overly flamboyant Felicia and his verbal sparring with Willis was comedic gold. The trio’s dilemmas are easy to relate to and backed by a talented ensemble; they are the dynamic force behind the musical.

So hop aboard Priscilla and come prepared for a whirlwind of bawdy jokes, glitter and heartwarming moments.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...