Community, Edge, Music

Hurricane Productions presents: U-topia

Hurricane Productions’ latest feat involves turning the Green into a utopia on Friday.

The organization is hosting U-topia  as its spring concert. It features two live shows, plenty of food and entertainment for a memorable night.

Alternative rock band Surfer Blood and the experimental hip-hoppers of The Cool Kids are gracing the Green with their talents to pump up UM’s student body with the campus’ first outdoor concert of the year.

Surfer Blood started up in West Palm Beach and includes members John Paul Pitts, Thomas Fekete, Kevin Williams and Tyler Schwarz.

The group has appeared on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and are releasing their new album “Pythons” in June 2013.

The Cool Kids is comprised of Sir Michael Rocks and Chuck Inglish from Chicago and Detroit, respectively. You might know them for their hits like “Swimsuits,” “Black Mags” and “Mikey Rocks.”

This combination of rock and rap offers you something you won’t find anywhere else, and VIP passes will be raffled off in the UC breezeway all week.

If the two concerts aren’t enough to get you out of the dorms or out of having to pay for a taxi to the Grove, consider the lineup of international food trucks. You can grab some Latin, Asian, Italian or American cuisine to chow down on while you enjoy the entertainment.

With a huge variety of options, no matter what you’re craving, you’ll leave happy.

“I’m very excited to go to U-topia,” sophomore Stefania Pinto said. “I’m looking forward to seeing the bands.”

In honor of our Canes’ successes this year, there will be a huge basketball bounce house right outside the Richter Library.

That’s right. No one can prohibit you from your fun just because you’re older than 12.

Along with this you’ll find an LED graffiti wall, which is a flat screen that event-goers can write and illustrate their own virtual graffiti on and share it through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

LED stands for light-emitting diode, and when you add water, you get light, art and creativity.

Lastly, there will be a robo-surfer. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s pretty much a mechanical bull, but better.

The event is not ticketed, so no lines and no waiting – a nice break from the Ultra madness earlier this month.

If You Go:

What: U-topia

Where: The Green

When: 9:30 p.m. to midnight Friday

-Admission is free for everyone

-For more information on the event, visit facebook.com/hpmiami.

Hunter Wright

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...