Community, Edge, Music

Hurricane Productions presents: U-topia

Hurricane Productions’ latest feat involves turning the Green into a utopia on Friday.

The organization is hosting U-topia  as its spring concert. It features two live shows, plenty of food and entertainment for a memorable night.

Alternative rock band Surfer Blood and the experimental hip-hoppers of The Cool Kids are gracing the Green with their talents to pump up UM’s student body with the campus’ first outdoor concert of the year.

Surfer Blood started up in West Palm Beach and includes members John Paul Pitts, Thomas Fekete, Kevin Williams and Tyler Schwarz.

The group has appeared on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and are releasing their new album “Pythons” in June 2013.

The Cool Kids is comprised of Sir Michael Rocks and Chuck Inglish from Chicago and Detroit, respectively. You might know them for their hits like “Swimsuits,” “Black Mags” and “Mikey Rocks.”

This combination of rock and rap offers you something you won’t find anywhere else, and VIP passes will be raffled off in the UC breezeway all week.

If the two concerts aren’t enough to get you out of the dorms or out of having to pay for a taxi to the Grove, consider the lineup of international food trucks. You can grab some Latin, Asian, Italian or American cuisine to chow down on while you enjoy the entertainment.

With a huge variety of options, no matter what you’re craving, you’ll leave happy.

“I’m very excited to go to U-topia,” sophomore Stefania Pinto said. “I’m looking forward to seeing the bands.”

In honor of our Canes’ successes this year, there will be a huge basketball bounce house right outside the Richter Library.

That’s right. No one can prohibit you from your fun just because you’re older than 12.

Along with this you’ll find an LED graffiti wall, which is a flat screen that event-goers can write and illustrate their own virtual graffiti on and share it through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

LED stands for light-emitting diode, and when you add water, you get light, art and creativity.

Lastly, there will be a robo-surfer. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s pretty much a mechanical bull, but better.

The event is not ticketed, so no lines and no waiting – a nice break from the Ultra madness earlier this month.

If You Go:

What: U-topia

Where: The Green

When: 9:30 p.m. to midnight Friday

-Admission is free for everyone

-For more information on the event, visit facebook.com/hpmiami.

Hunter Wright

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...