Edge, Q & A + Profiles, Theater

Actor talks touring, Broadway, speedos

A pink bus full of glitter, flamboyant costumes and fabulous shoes is rolling into the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts. “Priscilla: Queen of the Desert” is running at the Ziff Ballet Opera House from Thursday to Sunday.

The play, which is based on a 1994 Australian cult movie, tells the stories of two drag queens and a transsexual who road trip through the Australian outback. Along the way, they encounter a cast of zany characters, all set to the tune of catchy disco hits.

The Miami Hurricane got to chat with Andrew Chappelle, a member of the ensemble who has also played Eddie in “Mamma Mia” on Broadway.

The Miami Hurricane: Why did you want to get involved with “Priscilla?” What about the show appealed to you?

Andrew Chappelle: I saw “Priscilla” while it was playing in New York and immediately fell in love with the show from beginning to end. I loved the costumes, the story, the choreography; everything was spectacular. I saw it seven times. And I told myself if it ever went on tour I would try my hardest to be a part of it and bam!

TMH: What is it like to play a drag queen/transexual character?

AC: It is so fun to play a drag queen because my entire persona changes. It’s kind of like how Beyonce turns into Sasha Fierce. That is super fun to do every night.

TMH: What are some of the differences between performing for a Broadway show versus a Broadway tour?

AC: On Broadway you can have more of a stable lifestyle. You have your apartment and your life is all set up. On tour, you live in hotels and are in a new city every two to three weeks. On Broadway a lot of people are buying homes, taking their kids to school, taking trips to Connecticut to go apple picking. The younger of us are just enjoying living in New York and trying to get another show. On tour however, you don’t get that stability. Auditioning for other shows is a huge project between figuring out the show schedule, booking a flight etc. Also, touring is exhausting because most times you travel on your day off. If you are doing a show in New York, your day off is completely off.

TMH: What has been the craziest moment, good or bad, of the tour so far? As in “I can’t believe that just happened?”

AC: There have actually been a lot of those moments. With this fabulous show comes many mishaps that happen live. In the number “Material Girl” there are four guys dancing around in tuxedos that get ripped off to reveal tiny little speedos. Sometimes, more clothing comes off than we intend!

TMH: What do you miss most while traveling around the country?

AC: I miss my home and my friends in New York. However, I don’t look at touring as causing me to miss anything. I actually feel so lucky to be able to see so many different parts of the country and bring the message of this show everywhere we go.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...