Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Pop culture icon talks celebs, campus visit

Andy Cohen has taken over the small screen. Not only does he host his own TV show, “Watch What Happens Live,” but he is also the man behind popular shows like “Real Housewives” and “Top Chef.”

But all of this success didn’t come overnight, and Cohen’s journey is just as interesting and entertaining as you think it is.

Along the way, he has had many memorable experiences as well as awkward encounters with celebrities like Diana Ross, all of which he talks about in his book, “Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture.”

Cohen’s book is in stores now, but will be released in paperback on Tuesday. During his promotional tour, the pop culture icon will stop by the University of Miami for a Q&A and a book signing on April 8.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to talk to Cohen before his visit about the first celebrity he met and who would save him from being stranded on an island.

The Miami Hurricane: Can you tell us a little about the book?

Andy Cohen: It’s my story, and so many people ask me how I got where I got. So I hope people laugh and get a real insight of what it’s like working in TV and being on the front lines of pop culture.

TMH: Who was the first celebrity you met?

AC: I write about that a lot in my book. It was Susan Lucci, and the book opens with me in college meeting her. There’s a really funny story attached to it.

TMH: What’s the most memorable experience you’ve had in your career?

AC: That changes every day. I think just getting my own talk show after all these years of being a producer.

TMH: If you could pick any celebrity to be stuck on an island with you, who would you pick and why?

AC: I would pick Sarah Jessica Parker because she is amazing and a good friend. She would get us off the island.

TMH: The Real Housewives reunion shows are always very popular, mostly for all the drama. If you could reunite the cast of any TV show and hash out their problems, which show would it be?

AC: “Friends” because they are all such big stars now, so I think it would be interesting to see them all get together again.

TMH: What do you think makes reality TV so addictive?

AC: For Bravo, I think it’s the personalities, and you just never know what they’re going to do next. It’s just exciting and fun and funny.

TMH: What’s your favorite part about promotional tours?

AC: Meeting people who watch my show and hearing from them what they like and what they don’t like.

TMH: You pursued your dreams and were able to succeed, but students are often told to do what’s practical rather than follow our passion. Do you have any advice for students facing that dilemma?

AC: Get as many internships as you possibly can and try to get internships at places that you really want to work. Don’t narrow it down to just one place and make it as many places as you can think of.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...