Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Pop culture icon talks celebs, campus visit

Andy Cohen has taken over the small screen. Not only does he host his own TV show, “Watch What Happens Live,” but he is also the man behind popular shows like “Real Housewives” and “Top Chef.”

But all of this success didn’t come overnight, and Cohen’s journey is just as interesting and entertaining as you think it is.

Along the way, he has had many memorable experiences as well as awkward encounters with celebrities like Diana Ross, all of which he talks about in his book, “Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture.”

Cohen’s book is in stores now, but will be released in paperback on Tuesday. During his promotional tour, the pop culture icon will stop by the University of Miami for a Q&A and a book signing on April 8.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to talk to Cohen before his visit about the first celebrity he met and who would save him from being stranded on an island.

The Miami Hurricane: Can you tell us a little about the book?

Andy Cohen: It’s my story, and so many people ask me how I got where I got. So I hope people laugh and get a real insight of what it’s like working in TV and being on the front lines of pop culture.

TMH: Who was the first celebrity you met?

AC: I write about that a lot in my book. It was Susan Lucci, and the book opens with me in college meeting her. There’s a really funny story attached to it.

TMH: What’s the most memorable experience you’ve had in your career?

AC: That changes every day. I think just getting my own talk show after all these years of being a producer.

TMH: If you could pick any celebrity to be stuck on an island with you, who would you pick and why?

AC: I would pick Sarah Jessica Parker because she is amazing and a good friend. She would get us off the island.

TMH: The Real Housewives reunion shows are always very popular, mostly for all the drama. If you could reunite the cast of any TV show and hash out their problems, which show would it be?

AC: “Friends” because they are all such big stars now, so I think it would be interesting to see them all get together again.

TMH: What do you think makes reality TV so addictive?

AC: For Bravo, I think it’s the personalities, and you just never know what they’re going to do next. It’s just exciting and fun and funny.

TMH: What’s your favorite part about promotional tours?

AC: Meeting people who watch my show and hearing from them what they like and what they don’t like.

TMH: You pursued your dreams and were able to succeed, but students are often told to do what’s practical rather than follow our passion. Do you have any advice for students facing that dilemma?

AC: Get as many internships as you possibly can and try to get internships at places that you really want to work. Don’t narrow it down to just one place and make it as many places as you can think of.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...