News Briefs 4/1

Media

Univision President and CEO Randy Falco will discuss the future of media and communication during a USA Today CEO forum at 2 p.m.  April 10 at the Cosford Cinema. Falco, the former head of NBC Universal, joined Univision Communications, the leading media company serving Hispanic Americans, in 2011. USA Today’s Technology and Digital Entertainment Reporter, Mike Snider, will interview Falco. He will also discuss Fusion, an English-language news and lifestyle channel for Hispanics that is a joint venture with ABC News, slated to launch later this year. For more information, email Julia Proby at j.proby@miami.edu or call 305-284-2198.

Iron Arrow

Iron Arrow is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Sophomore Leadership Award until 5 p.m. April 8. This annual scholarship award goes to one current sophomore who has contributed exceptionally to UM and embodies the Five Pillars of Iron Arrow: Leadership, Scholarship, Character, Humility and Love of Alma Mater. Any member of the UM community may nominate a deserving sophomore student by filling out the form found at ironarrow.com/nform.html. Nominations should be emailed to Chief Ashley Taggart at ironarrow@miami.edu and kept private. The award recipient will be honored at the Celebration of Involvement on April 23.

Free Store

The first annual Free Store at the University of Miami organized by the Energy and Conservation Organization will be featured during the farmers market on Wednesday. Students, staff and faculty are welcome to donate all sorts of items, such as clothing, school supplies and electronic appliances. The concept behind the Free Store is that anyone will be able to pick up any of the donated items from the stand and thus reduce waste. Any items left over at the end of the day will be donated to Goodwill.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...