News Briefs 4/1

Media

Univision President and CEO Randy Falco will discuss the future of media and communication during a USA Today CEO forum at 2 p.m.  April 10 at the Cosford Cinema. Falco, the former head of NBC Universal, joined Univision Communications, the leading media company serving Hispanic Americans, in 2011. USA Today’s Technology and Digital Entertainment Reporter, Mike Snider, will interview Falco. He will also discuss Fusion, an English-language news and lifestyle channel for Hispanics that is a joint venture with ABC News, slated to launch later this year. For more information, email Julia Proby at j.proby@miami.edu or call 305-284-2198.

Iron Arrow

Iron Arrow is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Sophomore Leadership Award until 5 p.m. April 8. This annual scholarship award goes to one current sophomore who has contributed exceptionally to UM and embodies the Five Pillars of Iron Arrow: Leadership, Scholarship, Character, Humility and Love of Alma Mater. Any member of the UM community may nominate a deserving sophomore student by filling out the form found at ironarrow.com/nform.html. Nominations should be emailed to Chief Ashley Taggart at ironarrow@miami.edu and kept private. The award recipient will be honored at the Celebration of Involvement on April 23.

Free Store

The first annual Free Store at the University of Miami organized by the Energy and Conservation Organization will be featured during the farmers market on Wednesday. Students, staff and faculty are welcome to donate all sorts of items, such as clothing, school supplies and electronic appliances. The concept behind the Free Store is that anyone will be able to pick up any of the donated items from the stand and thus reduce waste. Any items left over at the end of the day will be donated to Goodwill.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...