News Briefs 4/1

Media

Univision President and CEO Randy Falco will discuss the future of media and communication during a USA Today CEO forum at 2 p.m.  April 10 at the Cosford Cinema. Falco, the former head of NBC Universal, joined Univision Communications, the leading media company serving Hispanic Americans, in 2011. USA Today’s Technology and Digital Entertainment Reporter, Mike Snider, will interview Falco. He will also discuss Fusion, an English-language news and lifestyle channel for Hispanics that is a joint venture with ABC News, slated to launch later this year. For more information, email Julia Proby at j.proby@miami.edu or call 305-284-2198.

Iron Arrow

Iron Arrow is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Sophomore Leadership Award until 5 p.m. April 8. This annual scholarship award goes to one current sophomore who has contributed exceptionally to UM and embodies the Five Pillars of Iron Arrow: Leadership, Scholarship, Character, Humility and Love of Alma Mater. Any member of the UM community may nominate a deserving sophomore student by filling out the form found at ironarrow.com/nform.html. Nominations should be emailed to Chief Ashley Taggart at ironarrow@miami.edu and kept private. The award recipient will be honored at the Celebration of Involvement on April 23.

Free Store

The first annual Free Store at the University of Miami organized by the Energy and Conservation Organization will be featured during the farmers market on Wednesday. Students, staff and faculty are welcome to donate all sorts of items, such as clothing, school supplies and electronic appliances. The concept behind the Free Store is that anyone will be able to pick up any of the donated items from the stand and thus reduce waste. Any items left over at the end of the day will be donated to Goodwill.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...