Basketball, Sports

Miami’s magic runs out in Sweet Sixteen loss to Marquette

Miami’s thrilling season ended in disappointing fashion on Thursday as Marquette breezed past the suddenly flat Canes, 71-61.

“We didn’t have the juice you need to play great basketball,” coach Jim Larranaga said. “It started from the beginning and never really improved.”

Miami struggled mightily from the field and did not play with enough energy to make a run for the Elite Eight.

The Canes began the game 1-for-13 from 3-point range, and finished the contest 8-for-26, a 31 percent clip.

Still, most of those came late in the game with the victory already out of reach.

The Golden Eagles, contrarily, were full of hot shooting hands, led by junior Jamil Wilson (game-high 16 points).

Marquette stretched its lead to as much as 21 points, forcing Larranaga to use a full-court press early in the second half.

“We’re not a pressing team, so to start pressing with 16 minutes left was out of character. We tried to get something going, but we couldn’t,” he said.

Marquette brought double teams off every high screen for Shane Larkin.

The star sophomore, named ACC Tournament MVP just two weeks ago, said he expected this type of defensive scheme, but had trouble executing against the Golden Eagles.

“Illinois did the same thing on ball screens, but that night Rion [Brown] had the hot hand,” Larkin said. “Nobody had that tonight. It was frustrating.”

A key question heading in was how Miami would adjust without Reggie Johnson, whose size is crucial beneath the basket.

It seemed especially important in a battle against a Marquette team that has a reputation for crashing the boards with all five players.

“Just missing his body, just his size would have been able to affect their shot and their game plan,” Miami senior Julian Gamble said. “But at this point there’s no excuses. You have to find a way to get things done.”

Thursday’s Sweet Sixteen loss ends arguably the most memorable and special season in Miami basketball history.

High preseason expectations gave way to a disappointing start, with losses to Florida Gulf Coast and St. Leo (Division II).

But after Christmas Day, the Canes embarked on their dominant 14-game winning streak, stealing the nation’s attention with blowout wins over Duke and North Carolina.

Seniors Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji, Julian Gamble, Trey McKinney Jones and Reggie Johnson led Miami to its first Sweet Sixteen since 2000, and achieved many firsts in program history.

To name a few: A win over the country’s No. 1 team (Duke), an outright regular season conference title, an ACC Tournament championship and a No. 2 ranking.

“I told the players how proud I was of them,” Larranaga said after the game. “How they conducted themselves all season, the sacrifices they made and the great ambassadors they were for the university.”

The conversation will soon turn to next year’s squad, and how Miami will replace its veteran core.

“I think what we did this year is a lay a foundation of what the program could be like,” Larranaga said. “I told the guys that when they look back on this year, they’ll have so many great memories of what they accomplished, and they’ll be able to take that with them a lifetime.”

AJ Ricketts

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...