Basketball, Sports

Miami’s magic runs out in Sweet Sixteen loss to Marquette

Miami’s thrilling season ended in disappointing fashion on Thursday as Marquette breezed past the suddenly flat Canes, 71-61.

“We didn’t have the juice you need to play great basketball,” coach Jim Larranaga said. “It started from the beginning and never really improved.”

Miami struggled mightily from the field and did not play with enough energy to make a run for the Elite Eight.

The Canes began the game 1-for-13 from 3-point range, and finished the contest 8-for-26, a 31 percent clip.

Still, most of those came late in the game with the victory already out of reach.

The Golden Eagles, contrarily, were full of hot shooting hands, led by junior Jamil Wilson (game-high 16 points).

Marquette stretched its lead to as much as 21 points, forcing Larranaga to use a full-court press early in the second half.

“We’re not a pressing team, so to start pressing with 16 minutes left was out of character. We tried to get something going, but we couldn’t,” he said.

Marquette brought double teams off every high screen for Shane Larkin.

The star sophomore, named ACC Tournament MVP just two weeks ago, said he expected this type of defensive scheme, but had trouble executing against the Golden Eagles.

“Illinois did the same thing on ball screens, but that night Rion [Brown] had the hot hand,” Larkin said. “Nobody had that tonight. It was frustrating.”

A key question heading in was how Miami would adjust without Reggie Johnson, whose size is crucial beneath the basket.

It seemed especially important in a battle against a Marquette team that has a reputation for crashing the boards with all five players.

“Just missing his body, just his size would have been able to affect their shot and their game plan,” Miami senior Julian Gamble said. “But at this point there’s no excuses. You have to find a way to get things done.”

Thursday’s Sweet Sixteen loss ends arguably the most memorable and special season in Miami basketball history.

High preseason expectations gave way to a disappointing start, with losses to Florida Gulf Coast and St. Leo (Division II).

But after Christmas Day, the Canes embarked on their dominant 14-game winning streak, stealing the nation’s attention with blowout wins over Duke and North Carolina.

Seniors Durand Scott, Kenny Kadji, Julian Gamble, Trey McKinney Jones and Reggie Johnson led Miami to its first Sweet Sixteen since 2000, and achieved many firsts in program history.

To name a few: A win over the country’s No. 1 team (Duke), an outright regular season conference title, an ACC Tournament championship and a No. 2 ranking.

“I told the players how proud I was of them,” Larranaga said after the game. “How they conducted themselves all season, the sacrifices they made and the great ambassadors they were for the university.”

The conversation will soon turn to next year’s squad, and how Miami will replace its veteran core.

“I think what we did this year is a lay a foundation of what the program could be like,” Larranaga said. “I told the guys that when they look back on this year, they’ll have so many great memories of what they accomplished, and they’ll be able to take that with them a lifetime.”

AJ Ricketts

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...