Campus Life, Community, News

Future lawyers take the stage in annual lampoon

It’s not far-fetched that lawyers, known for their theatrics in court, would take naturally to the stage. But between property torts and the bar exam, law students never seem to have much time for jokes.

That wasn’t the case Thursday evening at UM’s Storer Auditorium.

The law school’s students, faculty, and staff gathered to laugh at themselves, parodied in the annual lampoon put on by the school’s student theater production, the Equity Playhouse.

Titled “Miami Law: Sold Out”, the skit chronicles the law school after Dean Patricia White “sells out”to a reality television producer for money, instigating a rabbit hole of outlandish wigs, slapstick quips and provocative professor impersonations.

Spoofs of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, Honey Boo Boo and the cast of Jersey Shore all drew laughs. But the biggest ones came when current faculty were targeted.

Second-year law student Guerby Noel said he noticed the deans and professors took theirdepictions with a smile.

“I particularly liked when Professor [Mary Anne] Franks was parodied because she is the new face on campus and I agree, she is mistaken a lot as a student,” Noel said, referring to the skit where Franks runs out of class after a Nova Southeastern law student repeatedly asked for her number and to accept his Facebook friend request. “The best part was turning around and seeing her laughing at it too!”

By law students, for law students, about law students, the two-hour, two-act variety show requires months of planning and hard work, said show director and third-year student Liana Nealon.

“It was all written over the summer by [third-year student] Brian Stewart,” she said. “We then held auditions in the fall and started rehearsing in January.”

Begun in 1960 by the Society of Bar and Gavel, the Equity Playhouse is a team-building tradition aimed to integrate first-year students into the school. While Nealon, Stewart, the current president of Bar and Gavel, and the others directing and writing behind the scenes were in their second or thirdyears, most of the cast on stage were first-year students.

“Of the three years I’ve been doing the show, this year had the most first-years, and I’m proud,” Nealon said. “First year is stressful and this is a great way to get involved and deal with that stress in a positive way.”

Second-year student Joseph Matthews, who served as technical director, said that the Equity Playhouse, as unlikely as it may seem, instills first-year students with important career skills.

“As a lawyer, the spotlight is always on you, and you have to learn to perform under pressure,” Matthews said. “At Equity, you overcome that stage fright and that’ll only help you later in the courtroom.”

Jess Swanson

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...