Campus Life, Community, News

Future lawyers take the stage in annual lampoon

It’s not far-fetched that lawyers, known for their theatrics in court, would take naturally to the stage. But between property torts and the bar exam, law students never seem to have much time for jokes.

That wasn’t the case Thursday evening at UM’s Storer Auditorium.

The law school’s students, faculty, and staff gathered to laugh at themselves, parodied in the annual lampoon put on by the school’s student theater production, the Equity Playhouse.

Titled “Miami Law: Sold Out”, the skit chronicles the law school after Dean Patricia White “sells out”to a reality television producer for money, instigating a rabbit hole of outlandish wigs, slapstick quips and provocative professor impersonations.

Spoofs of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, Honey Boo Boo and the cast of Jersey Shore all drew laughs. But the biggest ones came when current faculty were targeted.

Second-year law student Guerby Noel said he noticed the deans and professors took theirdepictions with a smile.

“I particularly liked when Professor [Mary Anne] Franks was parodied because she is the new face on campus and I agree, she is mistaken a lot as a student,” Noel said, referring to the skit where Franks runs out of class after a Nova Southeastern law student repeatedly asked for her number and to accept his Facebook friend request. “The best part was turning around and seeing her laughing at it too!”

By law students, for law students, about law students, the two-hour, two-act variety show requires months of planning and hard work, said show director and third-year student Liana Nealon.

“It was all written over the summer by [third-year student] Brian Stewart,” she said. “We then held auditions in the fall and started rehearsing in January.”

Begun in 1960 by the Society of Bar and Gavel, the Equity Playhouse is a team-building tradition aimed to integrate first-year students into the school. While Nealon, Stewart, the current president of Bar and Gavel, and the others directing and writing behind the scenes were in their second or thirdyears, most of the cast on stage were first-year students.

“Of the three years I’ve been doing the show, this year had the most first-years, and I’m proud,” Nealon said. “First year is stressful and this is a great way to get involved and deal with that stress in a positive way.”

Second-year student Joseph Matthews, who served as technical director, said that the Equity Playhouse, as unlikely as it may seem, instills first-year students with important career skills.

“As a lawyer, the spotlight is always on you, and you have to learn to perform under pressure,” Matthews said. “At Equity, you overcome that stage fright and that’ll only help you later in the courtroom.”

Jess Swanson

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...