Edge, Music, Reviews

2Cellos shine on second album

Since posting a cello-only cover of “Smooth Criminal” to YouTube in 2011, 2Cellos has taken over the classical music charts. The Croatian cello duo’s first album, “2CELLOS,” reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard’s top classical albums.

Luka Sulic and Stjepan Hauser recently released their second album, “In2ition,” which shows the dynamic duo is working as hard as ever. The collaborations and covers on this album are on another level.

“In2ition” opens with a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” which properly builds the momentum up for the rest of the album; the twist is that Elton John accompanies Hauser and Sulic on the track. The collaboration is not a total surprise – as Elton is known for being a fan of the duo – but it’s definitely a remarkable way to open an album.

The next track, “We Found Love,” is an unexpected choice, but Hauser and Sulic do it justice. The build-ups before and after the choruses are unbelievable. They took the original recording and made a flawless raw version of it.

Rihanna’s hit single is followed by a rendition of “Highway to Hell” that proves the cellists can succeed in any genre. This AC/DC cover – as well as their rendition of “Technicall Difficulties” by Racer X – shows they can rock just as hard as a metal band. And guitarist Steve Vai proves to be the perfect addition to the track.

Compared to the other covers on the album, The Police’s “Every Breath You Take” is underwhelming. But of course, it’s nothing less than stellar. It just would’ve made more sense on “2CELLOS.” However, the next track, “Supermassive Black Hole,” takes a well-known Muse song and revamps it. Naya Rivera’s vocals are perfect for the cover.

Coldplay’s “Clocks” is not an unexpected song choice, but the rendition is beautiful. Pianist Lang Lang’s accompaniment on the track is perfect. It adds flavor to what has become an overplayed song.

The most impressive track on the album is by far the duo’s cover of “Bang Bang” by Sonny and Cher. It’s unexpected in a good way, making it the best song choice on the album. Sky Ferreira’s voice lies perfectly over Sulic and Hauser’s lines.

The next tracks are also strong: the recreation of electronic dance sounds in “Voodoo People” and the cover of “Candle in the Wind” are impressive. The duo’s original track, “Orient Express,” is beautiful. It references a passenger train that passes through Paris, Istanbul and Croatia. The song’s steady beat and rhythm allude to this reference.

The last two tracks – “Il Libro Dell’Amore” featuring Italian singer Zucchero and “Benedictus” – are more reminiscent of the duo’s first album: they’re simple yet beautiful.

No genre is left untouched on “In2ition.” Every rendition is performed flawlessly and the changes made from the last album to this new release – the variety of genres and the addition of vocals – are impressive.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...