Community, Edge, Theater

‘In The Heights’ brings Latin spice to Gables

It’s easy to see why “In The Heights” would attract crowds in Miami; the Latin population can easily relate to the music, the humor and the plot.

Luckily for those who aren’t familiar with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegria Hudes’ story, Actors’ Playhouse is bringing a bit of Latin flavor to the Miracle Theatre through April 7 with its production of “In The Heights.”

Set in Washington Heights  during early July, the musical tells the story of a group of family and friends who live in a predominantly Latin neighborhood. The plot tends to revolve around Usnavi (Nick Duckart), a convenience store owner, who tells the audience about his struggles with love, business and life through rap.

While Usnavi tries to get the courage to ask Vanessa (Christie Padres) out, salon owner Daniela (Elise Santora) gets ready to move her business to the Bronx.

In the meantime, Nina (Sarah Amengual) – the neighborhood’s pride and joy – comes back from her first year at Stanford University with a big secret she’s keeping from her parents, Kevin (Oscar Cheda) and Camila (Denise Sanchez).

Such a complex plot driven by several story lines requires a talented cast, and that’s just what the Actors’ Playhouse is giving their audiences. What makes the production stand out are the characters – and the cast – who you find yourself rooting for throughout the musical. The actors are incredibly talented; not only can they sing and act, but they can also dance.

Choreographer Stephanie Klemons does a marvelous job of utilizing every inch of the stage. Combined with the musical’s catchy and upbeat Latin songs – performed live by eight musicians directed by Manny Schvartzman – the choreography brings this production of “In The Heights” to another level.

The ensemble of dancers is extraordinary, particularly Jose-Luis Lopez, who was also in the musical on Broadway.

Moreover, the cast effortlessly portrays the charming characters. Standout performances include Doreen Montalvo’s Abuela Claudia and Cheda’s portrayal of Nina’s father, Kevin.

Both performers flawlessly depict the typical Latin grandmother and father. The duo shines during numbers like “Inútil” – a powerful performance from Cheda – and Montalvo’s “Paciencia y Fé (Patience and Faith).”

The understated set design is incredible as well; it manages to set the right tone and ambiance for the audience without excessively trying to recreate the actual setting of Washington Heights.

Every audience member will develop a personal connection to the production and its characters.

Between the cast’s impressive performances and the catchy music, there is no way anyone will leave the theater disappointed after watching Actors’ Playhouse’s “In The Heights.”

If You Go

What: “In The Heights”

Where: Actors’ Playhouse, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables

When: 8 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays, and 2 p.m. Sundays through April 7

Ticket prices are $28 to $44

For more information, call 305-444-9293

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...