Community, Edge, Theater

‘In The Heights’ brings Latin spice to Gables

It’s easy to see why “In The Heights” would attract crowds in Miami; the Latin population can easily relate to the music, the humor and the plot.

Luckily for those who aren’t familiar with Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegria Hudes’ story, Actors’ Playhouse is bringing a bit of Latin flavor to the Miracle Theatre through April 7 with its production of “In The Heights.”

Set in Washington Heights  during early July, the musical tells the story of a group of family and friends who live in a predominantly Latin neighborhood. The plot tends to revolve around Usnavi (Nick Duckart), a convenience store owner, who tells the audience about his struggles with love, business and life through rap.

While Usnavi tries to get the courage to ask Vanessa (Christie Padres) out, salon owner Daniela (Elise Santora) gets ready to move her business to the Bronx.

In the meantime, Nina (Sarah Amengual) – the neighborhood’s pride and joy – comes back from her first year at Stanford University with a big secret she’s keeping from her parents, Kevin (Oscar Cheda) and Camila (Denise Sanchez).

Such a complex plot driven by several story lines requires a talented cast, and that’s just what the Actors’ Playhouse is giving their audiences. What makes the production stand out are the characters – and the cast – who you find yourself rooting for throughout the musical. The actors are incredibly talented; not only can they sing and act, but they can also dance.

Choreographer Stephanie Klemons does a marvelous job of utilizing every inch of the stage. Combined with the musical’s catchy and upbeat Latin songs – performed live by eight musicians directed by Manny Schvartzman – the choreography brings this production of “In The Heights” to another level.

The ensemble of dancers is extraordinary, particularly Jose-Luis Lopez, who was also in the musical on Broadway.

Moreover, the cast effortlessly portrays the charming characters. Standout performances include Doreen Montalvo’s Abuela Claudia and Cheda’s portrayal of Nina’s father, Kevin.

Both performers flawlessly depict the typical Latin grandmother and father. The duo shines during numbers like “Inútil” – a powerful performance from Cheda – and Montalvo’s “Paciencia y Fé (Patience and Faith).”

The understated set design is incredible as well; it manages to set the right tone and ambiance for the audience without excessively trying to recreate the actual setting of Washington Heights.

Every audience member will develop a personal connection to the production and its characters.

Between the cast’s impressive performances and the catchy music, there is no way anyone will leave the theater disappointed after watching Actors’ Playhouse’s “In The Heights.”

If You Go

What: “In The Heights”

Where: Actors’ Playhouse, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables

When: 8 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays, and 2 p.m. Sundays through April 7

Ticket prices are $28 to $44

For more information, call 305-444-9293

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...