Honor Society prepares for tour, evolves sound

A lot has changed for pop-rock band Honor Society since the recent release of its third EP “Serendipity.”

The new album shows that the band’s sound has once again evolved; from R&B and pop to rock and electronic, the trio – originally from New York – isn’t afraid to push the limits.

The new EP’s release also marks Honor Society’s last record with keyboardist and guitarist Jason Rosen, who announced his departure from the band in mid-February. Fans were shocked and upset.

But just because one man is down, doesn’t mean the band is disappearing; there are still three talented musicians in the band fighting their way up, which they’ve made clear while they prep for their upcoming concerts for Serendipity The Tour. They have not replaced Rosen.

Honor Society has proved to critics and listeners that the band means business. And there’s no doubt that “Serendipity” is the band’s most mature and impressive album yet.

The opening track, “Obsession,” had been released earlier through the Honor System – a program in which the band would release free tracks to fans as it recorded and prepped for “Serendipity’s” release.

However, drummer Alex Noyes, singer-guitarist Michael Bruno and bassist Andrew Lee revamped the track, giving it a completely new feel.

The lyrics are catchy: “A moment alone/a crack in the stone/I’m breaking down/But her smile weighs too much.” The music itself will draw listeners in as well; the incredible guitar riffs, the nostalgic 1980s vibe and powerful bass line are irresistible.

Following “Obsession” is the band’s latest single, “Serendipity.” These first two tracks couldn’t be more different, showcasing Honor Society’s range in genres and sounds.

The title track has a lighter sound – more acoustic than “Obsession’s” heavier rock sound – paired with comedic lyrics: “My Kim to her Kanye/My Jay to her Beyonce/I want to be her guy.”

It’s definitely a summer tune; you’ll be craving a pina colada and a poolside hammock by the end of it.

The next two songs, “This Bed Is An Ocean” and “House On The Hill,” tie the EP together. The former is a treat for dedicated Honor Society fans, considering it was one of the first songs the group played together.

They teased it on the last album, “A Tale of Risky Business Part 2,” through an interlude.

But fans can now get the full and recorded version of the track. Although it is an oldie, the guys made sure to insert their new sound into it, venturing from the standard acoustic version with a leading piano melody and powerful mood-setting percussion.

“House On The Hill” shows exactly where the band is now: a more mature alternative sound accompanied by beautifully complex lyrics. There’s no doubt that this is Honor Society’s strongest song to date.

The EP closes with “Kaleidoscope,” a step down from “House On The Hill.” That’s not to say it isn’t enjoyable.

The upbeat track isn’t the band’s strongest, but the lyrics are endearing: “Your colors shine/But you live your life/Trapped inside a silent film.”

As the band preps to promote the new EP during Serendipity The Tour, the group has made it clear that there are plenty of tricks up its sleeve.

In true Honor Society fashion, the tour is bound to be a month-long party rather than just a series of concerts.

For more information, visit honorsocietymusic.com. Tour dates and updates are available on the site.

Serendipity

Release Date: Sept. 18, 2012

Artist Name: Honor Society

Label: Independent

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...