Academics, News

Plus 1 initiative in the works

Student Government’s “Plus 1 Scholars Program” may need to wait plus one more years before taking effect.

Plus 1 was a main platform of SG President Nawara Alawa’s administration during the spring 2012 election. The initiative would allow students to study an academic passion separate from the student’s current degree for an additional year without paying for tuition.

As Alawa’s term comes to an end, Plus 1 remains in its planning stages. The current executive board originally had a goal of completing the project by the end of this semester.

“We are hoping to implement the project correctly and efficiently instead of quickly just to check it off of our list,” she said.

A  main challenge was finding ways to integrate the fifth-year option into the current framework of the curriculums of each school or college.

“Working with each of them to figure out the best way to make this happen has been more complex than initially expected,” Alawa said.

Alawa said that William Green, dean of undergraduate education, has been helpful in connecting SG to the deans.

“He has a greater and more broad understanding of how academics at the university work,” she said.

UM’s Plus 1 program is based on the current Take 5 Scholars Program at the University of Rochester. Rochester’s website states that Take 5 is intended for students who wish to “explore additional disciplines and courses that might not otherwise be available to them.”

According to Rochester’s publication Campus Times, Take 5 helps students enhance their undergraduate education by letting them take courses outside of their majors.

Roshal Patel, the student government president at Rochester and a Take 5 scholar, said that students must meet with their academic adviser and a Take 5 adviser to plan their course of study.

“Even though I am going into healthcare, I am able to study music engineering and grow as a person,” he said.

Junior Uju Akaniru, a biomedical engineering major, feels that a fifth year would allow her to  take more humanities courses.

“I want to get a more rounded education in psychology and philosophy,” she said.

Bhumi Patel, the SG president-elect, hopes to start where Alawa left off.

“Even if it’s something established like farmers market or something that requires work like [Plus 1], we thought of the previous administration’s initiatives in planning our ideas,” she said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...