Students discover creative study nooks

Studying can be done almost anywhere: in a bedroom, in a closet, at the beach or a bar.

With 10,509 students at the University of Miami, students are bound to get creative when finding and choosing their best study spots.

Junior Danielle Bouquio, an employee at the Tavern Bar in Coconut Grove, studies at the bar and finds Tavern convenient. Junior Jacqueline Rangel joins Bouquio at the bar to study as well. The two find it a nice way to study together in a lively environment.

“Well since I work there, I control the music that is playing, so I can put on whatever I want,” Bouquio said. “There is a lot of space on the bar to spread things out. The customers that are there during the day are always encouraging me to keep up with my studies.”

Others, like senior Hadley Manfredi, prefer a more secluded study location. She finds it too chaotic to study on campus, so she turns to her closet for study serenity.

“My closet at school is pretty big, but not big enough for someone to come sit in there and bother me while I study,” Manfredi said. “When I go in there, there aren’t any windows for me to be wishing I was outside and enjoying some quality sun and tanning time.”

Junior Amanda Sahley, however, rejects quiet locations. She studies with screaming music in her ears. The severity of the music helps her concentrate by blocking everything else.

“I like singing while listening,” she said. “I sometimes associate songs with topics when I’m taking a test in my memory.”

But for some students, studying is coupled with other activities like exercise.

The Wellness Center can serve as an ideal study location for these multitaskers. In an effort to maximize her time, junior Nabila Bader, studies while running on the treadmill.

“Well I usually read and study on the treadmill because I feel like while I’m working out and waiting for the time to pass,” she said. “I’m not focusing on the exercise and more on what I’m reading, so it makes the exercise not so dreadful.”

The efficiency and convenience of studying while working out is also a great method to keep your mind and body healthy, Bader said.

Of course, with the glistening, Miami sun and clear blue skies, some students feel it is a sin to study inside.

Sophomore Puck Readers, an undeclared pre-med major, utilizes any time she has to take a trip to the beach to study.

“The reason why I like to study on the beach is because it relaxes me while studying, so I learn quicker,” she said. “I like to climb up in a big tree to get away from things and read my assigned readings. I hate libraries because I always see people I know, and I feel like I can’t take little breaks like taking a nap or going for a swim.”

Rebecca Cohen

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...