Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes prepare to continue making history

The 2013 season has undoubtedly been a dream come true for the Miami Hurricanes. It’s a fairytale ride that not even Jim Larranaga, a noted believer in visualizing one’s goals, probably could have imagined.

But the team is still six wins away from its ultimate goal. The Canes have departed for Austin, Texas, to face the Pacific Tigers in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at 2:10 p.m. Friday.

In their first trip to the Big Dance since 2008, the Canes will be playing in a winnable East Region. Miami’s experience and maturity – the average Hurricane is 21.3 years old – as well as their superb guard play should propel them to an Elite Eight showdown with No. 1-seed Indiana.

Tom Crean’s Hoosiers and their high-powered offense (80 points per game) will be the ultimate challenge for the swarming Hurricanes defense. Interestingly, Indiana has made the ascent to No. 1 and then lost in the same week on three occasions this year.

To make the final push to Atlanta, the Canes must keep the ball in the reliable hands of All-ACC first teamer and Naismith Player of the Year candidate Shane Larkin. The sophomore point guard, who leads the team in points and assists, has emerged as Miami’s go-to guy with his ability to create for his teammates and make important shots when needed.

Miami’s frontcourt, on the other hand, will rely heavily on sixth-year senior Julian Gamble. With Reggie Johnson struggling to find his pre-injury form, Gamble stepped up as a defensive anchor, leading the Canes with 59 blocks.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...