Edge, Theater

Psychology major plays lead role at local theater

Junior Veronica Diaz never thought she’d find herself playing the lead role of a show put together by the Roxy Theatre Group, which she’s been involved with since she was 11.

A dancer since age 6, Diaz accidentally found out she could sing while she was helping with a voice class at the nonprofit performing arts center.

Now, Diaz is playing the lead role in “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” a musical adapted from a film of the same name. The work, set in Manhattan near the 1920s, is the story of a young girl from Kansas who leaves her hometown to go follow her dreams.

Roxy Theatre Group’s production features a cast and orchestra comprised of 60 students, ages 13 to 22.

“I feel that Millie’s story is one that not just I, but all people, can really relate to; anyone that’s ever felt the need to go after their dreams. I am beyond excited to bring her to life and share the stage with an amazing cast and crew!” Diaz said in a press release.

Diaz mentioned she finds playing the lead role of Millie Dillmount quite challenging.

“It’s definitely a lot more difficult than what I’m used to,” she said. “I’m almost always on stage and I sing a lot more than usual. It’s definitely been a challenge but it’s been fun but I enjoy it, and I’ve grown as a performer. I like being something more extreme than myself, because I’m not usually like that.”

Diaz, a psychology major, is working on obtaining a minor in theater after she discovered her passion for it while working with the performing arts center.

Last semester, she took an acting class as part of her minor that she said helped her develop as an actress.

“I learned a lot and it definitely prepared me, and helped me do a part like this,” she said.

According to Charles Sothers, the theater arts director, this show contains several dance numbers that involve tap dancing.

“It’s the first tap heavy show that we’ve done,” he said. “That’s what we’re known for as a dancing studio, I’d say. This is kind of impressive because almost the entire cast is on stage at one point, tap dancing.”

He also commented on Diaz’s role.

“She does a great job with characterization, considering she’s a psych major,” he said.

If you go:

What: “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” by the Roxy Theatre Group

When: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday

Where: 1645 SW 107 Ave., Miami, Fla.

General admission tickets for the show cost $20. Student prices on Friday and Sunday are $10, and $15 on Saturdays. All proceeds collected will benefit the Roxy Theatre Group’s Student Scholarship Fund.

For more information, or for tickets, call 305-226-0030 or visit roxypac.com. You could also visit the theatre’s Facebook page at facebook.com/roxytheatregroup or Twitter at twitter.com/RoxyTheatreGrp

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...