Miami crime robs students of safety

D

uring winter break, my frantic landlord in Miami called to inform me that the house I share with three roommates had been broken into. The majority of our belongings had been stolen, even with an alarm system installed.

College students routinely leave home for long periods of time or even for class. It is a thief’s dream come true. Last week, our neighbors experienced their second break-in while they were home. They were able to scare off the robbers, but now they rarely sleep at home.

“Don’t live in a house” is advice often thrown around among students because of the unsafe neighborhoods. However, living in an apartment complex is no guarantee either. My car was parked inside the Red Road Commons parking garage last year and was broken into overnight. My laptop and iPod were stolen out of my backpack. I discovered that Red Road Commons didn’t have cameras in their garage, let alone a security-enforced gate or front desk to contact for assistance. The cop who helped me file a report was way too accustomed to disgruntled UM students. Thieves regularly stroll into the garage completely aware of the lack of cameras.

University Village housing is the only nondorm housing on campus, but it’s only available to upperclassmen with a certain number of credits. Their rent runs at least $1,100 a month. One would think that the UV poses a solution, but last year my friend’s apartment in the UV was broken into overnight while he and his roommates were sleeping. The robber was armed. Two of the three roommates moved out, fearing the robber would return.

Our disturbing robbery incident reflects a greater issue  in Miami. It would be a crime for the university not to at least brainstorm for ways to lend those of us drowning in tuition costs a hand, especially when 59 percent of students live off campus. A graduating Hurricane shouldn’t have been robbed of all of her sentimental hard-earned U pride memorabilia while away on holiday vacation.

Melanie Kleiner is a senior majoring in economics.

Melanie Kleiner

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...