Miami crime robs students of safety

D

uring winter break, my frantic landlord in Miami called to inform me that the house I share with three roommates had been broken into. The majority of our belongings had been stolen, even with an alarm system installed.

College students routinely leave home for long periods of time or even for class. It is a thief’s dream come true. Last week, our neighbors experienced their second break-in while they were home. They were able to scare off the robbers, but now they rarely sleep at home.

“Don’t live in a house” is advice often thrown around among students because of the unsafe neighborhoods. However, living in an apartment complex is no guarantee either. My car was parked inside the Red Road Commons parking garage last year and was broken into overnight. My laptop and iPod were stolen out of my backpack. I discovered that Red Road Commons didn’t have cameras in their garage, let alone a security-enforced gate or front desk to contact for assistance. The cop who helped me file a report was way too accustomed to disgruntled UM students. Thieves regularly stroll into the garage completely aware of the lack of cameras.

University Village housing is the only nondorm housing on campus, but it’s only available to upperclassmen with a certain number of credits. Their rent runs at least $1,100 a month. One would think that the UV poses a solution, but last year my friend’s apartment in the UV was broken into overnight while he and his roommates were sleeping. The robber was armed. Two of the three roommates moved out, fearing the robber would return.

Our disturbing robbery incident reflects a greater issue  in Miami. It would be a crime for the university not to at least brainstorm for ways to lend those of us drowning in tuition costs a hand, especially when 59 percent of students live off campus. A graduating Hurricane shouldn’t have been robbed of all of her sentimental hard-earned U pride memorabilia while away on holiday vacation.

Melanie Kleiner is a senior majoring in economics.

Melanie Kleiner

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...