Staff Editorial 3/4: Games don’t control violence

As rampage shootings become the increasingly popular crime of choice, many turn to violent video games as the answer to why this must be. But, there is no evidence this correlation exists.

Individuals are inclined to point fingers at video games as the link to violent behavior because it is easy to do so, but the push of a button on an Xbox 360 controller is not leading individuals to pull the trigger of a gun.

Though it is possible that criminals play violent video games, their choice to behave violently does not directly result from playing any game.

Recently, the Washington Post compared the amount of money spent on video games and gun-related homicide rates in 10 countries. The results showed that although the U.S. has the highest rate of gun-related murders, the Netherlands and South Korea spend more than twice the amount on video games, yet their gun-related murder rates are much lower.

The relationship between video games and violent behavior is virtually nonexistent. Playing violent video games for hours on end should not be anyone’s hobby of choice. However, it doesn’t seem to cause any harm in moderation.

For decades, video games and television shows have been called into question as a key factor that leads to certain individuals becoming murderers, rapists, sex offenders and robbers. But many people watch the same shows and play the same video games and don’t have a criminal record to back this theory up.

In an article published by the New York Times, new research shows that violent video games can cause a short-term period of aggressive behavior, but evidence does not prove that it will carry out in the long-term and cause someone to commit any violent crimes.

“None of these extreme acts, like a school shooting, occurs because of only one risk factor; there are many factors, including feeling socially isolated, being bullied and so on,” said Craig A. Anderson, a psychologist at Iowa State University. “… if you look at the literature, I think it’s clear that violent media is one factor; it’s not the largest factor, but it’s also not the smallest.”

The truth: We will never know  why Eric David Harris and Dylan Bennet Klebold committed the Columbine massacre; why James Holmes randomly shot up a Colorado movie theater; or why Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary school and killed 26 innocent people.

But we do know this: Criminals do not wake up one day and decide to commit a violent crime after playing a video game. It involves several factors that fester overtime.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...