News, Student Organization

Hip-hop dance group thrives on ‘swagger’

Freshman Jamie Servidio performs with the group Kaos during Greek Week's Organized Cheer event on the green Friday night. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Freshman Jamie Servidio performs with the group Kaos during Greek Week’s Organized Cheer event on the green Friday night. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

The members of KAOS see hip-hop dancing as more than a passion. Being part of a dance group gives them an escape from the pressures of school and jobs.

“We all have this connection to dancing even though we’re such different people; we come together and have fun,” said sophomore Emily Brudner, president of the student organization.

There are 18 members, including 15 women and three men.

KAOS holds auditions for new members at the beginning of each semester. The number of dancers they take varies. This last semester, they took four new members.

The Executive Board and the general members of KAOS discuss and decide who can join the group.

The group’s leaders, like senior Maria Coronado, are not only interested in dance skills.

“There is a certain stage presence and style that makes someone stand out,” she said.

Junior Natalie Goenaga believes that members should have a certain attitude.

“Don’t be nervous, and just be yourself at auditions. KAOS looks for dancers who love to have a good time, have attitude and swagger, as silly as that sounds,” she said.

Coronado has been a member of KAOS for four years.

She has danced ballet and tap since the age of 3. KAOS has been a way for her to continue dancing, get a workout in and forget about school for two hours twice a week.

“I know that once I graduate, I won’t be able to perform and do things like this so I’m enjoying it while I can,” she said.

KAOS has been a registered student organization since 1995.

Although the student organization has a faculty adviser, currently Connie Nickel, the members are mainly responsible for organizing the club’s events and meetings.

Each semester, they produce a fall or spring showcase before finals week with about 16 different dances.

“You really get to know the other members because the week before showcase, we always practice several hours a day, every day,” Coronado said.

The name KAOS is a secret acronym that only group members know, and only find out once they have completed their first showcase. They also receive nicknames given to them by the other members.

KAOS performs at other occasions besides the end-of-semester showcases. They have danced at Greek Week opening ceremonies and the Organized-Cheer event (O-Cheer) during Homecoming.

There is no cost to join KAOS, but students are required to audition at the onset of each semester.

Bailey Murray

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...