Blogs

Focus on Fitness: Biking the Gables on Old Cutler Trail

Bored with that elliptical yet? Sick of the Stairmaster? There’s just only so much time you can spend on a treadmill before you start to feel like a hamster in a wheel.
Take your workout outdoors and explore some of Coral Gables’ natural beauty on the Old Cutler Trail.

handlebars
The 11-mile paved path begins at Cocoplum Circle and winds down Old Cutler Road. Along the wide, flat trail, cyclists share the space with walkers and joggers alike. Popular attractions along the trail include Fairchild Tropical Garden and Matheson Hammock Park.

sign
Though it’s slightly off the beaten path, the detour through the mangroves into Matheson Hammock offers a dazzling view of Biscayne Bay and the Miami skyline.

brian bike

The park makes a great stop off point to relax in the shade of a palm tree by the tranquil atoll pool.  The calm waters and constant breeze off the bay make Matheson Hammock a destination for kiteboarders, kayakers, and stand-up paddleboarders of all abilities, with lessons and rentals available at the park.

matheson
While 11 miles of scenic trail may not seem like a grueling workout, according to MyFitnessPal.com, and average cyclist can burn nearly 600 calories in 60 minutes biking at a moderate pace (12-14 mph).
With the stress of midterms upon us, take the chance to get those exercise-induced endorphins flowing out in the fresh air and soak up some of that good old Florida sunshine while you’re at it.

Kristen Spillane is a junior journalism and Spanish double major hailing from Boston, Mass. She’s out to make the most of all Miami has to offer and can’t resist a good adrenaline rush or the feeling of being completely and utterly spent after a workout. Blogging for her fellow Canes that are always on the go.

Focus on Fitness is a blog about discovering the plethora of physical activities and outdoor opportunities of the South Florida community and beyond.  Can’t sit still and looking for a refreshing way to use that positive energy? Keep up with Focus on Fitness … if you can. 

Kristen Spillane

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...