V's Take

Dear V: College and sex and girls, oh my…

Dear V ,

I would like to approach different girls because there are a variety of lovely ladies to date. However, I don’t know how to start a conversation and keep it flowing in order to make a connection. Girls in general are prone to be less social when a guy they’re not familiar with approaches them and I cannot read a girl’s body language. I have trouble reading her signs without her verbally saying how she feels. My college days are passing me by, and I have not gotten much into the dating game. I am described as an introvert, and a little fun would be wonderful and a major stress-reliever right about now. How do I make an intimate connection with ladies hopefully resulting in a friendship or even better into a relationship?

Maximus Prestige

Maximum Insecurity,

You do realize that there are millions of scientists and historians who are trying to answer the age-old enigma of womanhood. Women themselves get confused about their arbitrary rules on courtship. So you’re just as clueless as the rest of us.

But a successful interaction doesn’t have to be complicated. Honestly, the business of “signs” is just another example of our generation overthinking every detail. Not every gesture or compliment has to be interpreted. A poke on Facebook doesn’t mean someone actually wants to “poke” you.

Granted these concerns have always been around; not to mention that celebrities make everything look easy. Put Nicole Kidman in the room with a country singer, and magic happens. I’m still wondering if Leo and Kate are aware of their sexual tension.

Anyway, I recommend getting comfortable with girls who are friends, but you may not have a romantic attraction. Take it as field work. Observe how they work, think and talk. You’ll learn that hanging with girls is completely different from guys. Guys insult each other and talk sports stats for millennia. Girls enjoy occasional banter about other girls and their insecurities.

No introvert calls himself an introvert. You refer to yourself as Maximus Prestige, which means you have a secret ego or you play World of War Craft while watching “Game of Thrones.” Either way, girls like someone who is secure of himself. If you’re a closet nerd, geek out. Comic Con is just as cool as attending the Super Bowl or the World Series.

Date with confidence, and go for someone that enjoys spending time together and accepts your interests.

Otherwise, Internet pornography has a plethora of options waiting for you at the click of a button … some are even free.

Advice Columnist

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...