V's Take

Dear V: College and sex and girls, oh my…

Dear V ,

I would like to approach different girls because there are a variety of lovely ladies to date. However, I don’t know how to start a conversation and keep it flowing in order to make a connection. Girls in general are prone to be less social when a guy they’re not familiar with approaches them and I cannot read a girl’s body language. I have trouble reading her signs without her verbally saying how she feels. My college days are passing me by, and I have not gotten much into the dating game. I am described as an introvert, and a little fun would be wonderful and a major stress-reliever right about now. How do I make an intimate connection with ladies hopefully resulting in a friendship or even better into a relationship?

Maximus Prestige

Maximum Insecurity,

You do realize that there are millions of scientists and historians who are trying to answer the age-old enigma of womanhood. Women themselves get confused about their arbitrary rules on courtship. So you’re just as clueless as the rest of us.

But a successful interaction doesn’t have to be complicated. Honestly, the business of “signs” is just another example of our generation overthinking every detail. Not every gesture or compliment has to be interpreted. A poke on Facebook doesn’t mean someone actually wants to “poke” you.

Granted these concerns have always been around; not to mention that celebrities make everything look easy. Put Nicole Kidman in the room with a country singer, and magic happens. I’m still wondering if Leo and Kate are aware of their sexual tension.

Anyway, I recommend getting comfortable with girls who are friends, but you may not have a romantic attraction. Take it as field work. Observe how they work, think and talk. You’ll learn that hanging with girls is completely different from guys. Guys insult each other and talk sports stats for millennia. Girls enjoy occasional banter about other girls and their insecurities.

No introvert calls himself an introvert. You refer to yourself as Maximus Prestige, which means you have a secret ego or you play World of War Craft while watching “Game of Thrones.” Either way, girls like someone who is secure of himself. If you’re a closet nerd, geek out. Comic Con is just as cool as attending the Super Bowl or the World Series.

Date with confidence, and go for someone that enjoys spending time together and accepts your interests.

Otherwise, Internet pornography has a plethora of options waiting for you at the click of a button … some are even free.

Advice Columnist

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...