Sports briefs 2/25

Women’s Basketball

Georgia Tech scored the final nine points on Sunday afternoon to complete a huge second-half comeback over Miami, 68-64.

Shawnice Wilson and Keyona Hayes each had double-doubles for the Canes (18-9, 9-7 ACC), who looked to be in control with a 15-point lead in the second half.

The Canes went into halftime leading Georgia Tech 38-32, but down the stretch the Yellow Jackets rode a scoring explosion from Tyaunna Marshall. She finished with 37 points.

Stefanie Yderstrom led Miami with 16 points. The Canes host No. 4 Duke for their last home game at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Men’s Basketball

The No. 2 Hurricanes lost for the first time since Christmas in a surprisingly lopsided 80-65 game at Wake Forest on Saturday.

Durand Scott scored 17 points, but Miami’s flat shooting and suddenly frozen offense was no match for the energized Demon Deacons.

The Canes’ 14-game winning streak fell with the loss, as did Miami’s 13-0 conference record. It was the best ACC start since Duke opened 16-0 in 1999.

Miami (22-4, 13-1 ACC) has a 2.5-game lead over Duke in the conference standings.

After a Wednesday night home matchup with Virginia Tech, Miami will travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...