Sports briefs 2/25

Women’s Basketball

Georgia Tech scored the final nine points on Sunday afternoon to complete a huge second-half comeback over Miami, 68-64.

Shawnice Wilson and Keyona Hayes each had double-doubles for the Canes (18-9, 9-7 ACC), who looked to be in control with a 15-point lead in the second half.

The Canes went into halftime leading Georgia Tech 38-32, but down the stretch the Yellow Jackets rode a scoring explosion from Tyaunna Marshall. She finished with 37 points.

Stefanie Yderstrom led Miami with 16 points. The Canes host No. 4 Duke for their last home game at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Men’s Basketball

The No. 2 Hurricanes lost for the first time since Christmas in a surprisingly lopsided 80-65 game at Wake Forest on Saturday.

Durand Scott scored 17 points, but Miami’s flat shooting and suddenly frozen offense was no match for the energized Demon Deacons.

The Canes’ 14-game winning streak fell with the loss, as did Miami’s 13-0 conference record. It was the best ACC start since Duke opened 16-0 in 1999.

Miami (22-4, 13-1 ACC) has a 2.5-game lead over Duke in the conference standings.

After a Wednesday night home matchup with Virginia Tech, Miami will travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...