Sports briefs 2/25

Women’s Basketball

Georgia Tech scored the final nine points on Sunday afternoon to complete a huge second-half comeback over Miami, 68-64.

Shawnice Wilson and Keyona Hayes each had double-doubles for the Canes (18-9, 9-7 ACC), who looked to be in control with a 15-point lead in the second half.

The Canes went into halftime leading Georgia Tech 38-32, but down the stretch the Yellow Jackets rode a scoring explosion from Tyaunna Marshall. She finished with 37 points.

Stefanie Yderstrom led Miami with 16 points. The Canes host No. 4 Duke for their last home game at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Men’s Basketball

The No. 2 Hurricanes lost for the first time since Christmas in a surprisingly lopsided 80-65 game at Wake Forest on Saturday.

Durand Scott scored 17 points, but Miami’s flat shooting and suddenly frozen offense was no match for the energized Demon Deacons.

The Canes’ 14-game winning streak fell with the loss, as did Miami’s 13-0 conference record. It was the best ACC start since Duke opened 16-0 in 1999.

Miami (22-4, 13-1 ACC) has a 2.5-game lead over Duke in the conference standings.

After a Wednesday night home matchup with Virginia Tech, Miami will travel to Durham, N.C., to face the Blue Devils at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sdandes@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...