Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: SG should be respected not scolded

As my second year on the Elections Commission comes to an end, I feel that now is the appropriate time to publicly reflect on my branch of Student Government. I’ve only witnessed two Executive Board elections in my tenure, but I can see the apparent trends. I’ve served as chairman for one semester, but I can see problems in the bureaucratic machine.  I’m young, not oblivious.

Somehow this notion that candidates are just petty, bickering individuals who file against each other has been promulgated through every channel of student life. Maybe I’m biased and naïve. But, in my capacity as chairman, I get to know the candidates as more than candidates. My job affords me the privilege of seeing the stress and hardship of putting community before self, and gives me the ability to witness the struggle and hardship to file against fellow student leaders.

It’s never easy for candidates to file violations of the Elections Codes against each other. I know how hard it is because I have to sit with candidates and explain the severity of accusing your peers of
violating the legal doctrine that protects the integrity and authority of the office that they seek. I’m the one who has to determine the probable cause of the alleged violation, which isn’t easy either.

SG elections aren’t easy for any party involved, and I don’t think they should be. The elections are moments when the heart of our university is put forth for the entire world to see. If I ever thought the process of running for office robbed individuals and the UM community of student leaders, I would abandon my position. If I ever thought that the actions of my branch of SG created an atmosphere of finger-pointing and acrimony, I would leave and not look back.

UM should be a beacon of light on the hill for the entire world to marvel at. It should be a testament to compassion and understanding. If we are to accomplish any of those goals, we need to work together, and stop blaming and spreading disinformation about the most rich and rewarding system on campus.

J. Alexander Barletto, Sophomore
Chairman of the Elections Commission

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...