Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: SG should be respected not scolded

As my second year on the Elections Commission comes to an end, I feel that now is the appropriate time to publicly reflect on my branch of Student Government. I’ve only witnessed two Executive Board elections in my tenure, but I can see the apparent trends. I’ve served as chairman for one semester, but I can see problems in the bureaucratic machine.  I’m young, not oblivious.

Somehow this notion that candidates are just petty, bickering individuals who file against each other has been promulgated through every channel of student life. Maybe I’m biased and naïve. But, in my capacity as chairman, I get to know the candidates as more than candidates. My job affords me the privilege of seeing the stress and hardship of putting community before self, and gives me the ability to witness the struggle and hardship to file against fellow student leaders.

It’s never easy for candidates to file violations of the Elections Codes against each other. I know how hard it is because I have to sit with candidates and explain the severity of accusing your peers of
violating the legal doctrine that protects the integrity and authority of the office that they seek. I’m the one who has to determine the probable cause of the alleged violation, which isn’t easy either.

SG elections aren’t easy for any party involved, and I don’t think they should be. The elections are moments when the heart of our university is put forth for the entire world to see. If I ever thought the process of running for office robbed individuals and the UM community of student leaders, I would abandon my position. If I ever thought that the actions of my branch of SG created an atmosphere of finger-pointing and acrimony, I would leave and not look back.

UM should be a beacon of light on the hill for the entire world to marvel at. It should be a testament to compassion and understanding. If we are to accomplish any of those goals, we need to work together, and stop blaming and spreading disinformation about the most rich and rewarding system on campus.

J. Alexander Barletto, Sophomore
Chairman of the Elections Commission

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...