News Briefs 2/25

UHack

Senior Oscar Sanchez, president of UM’s branch of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, organized the second-annual UHack, a coding marathon that began on Saturday and continued into Sunday afternoon.

UHack was centered on a theme of the arts. Winners were awarded based on their creativity, adherence to the theme and the polish of the design.

The first prize of $1,500, a one-year subscription to a coding service Code School and three months of coding work in The Lab at the Wynwood Art District went to the app SoundCompass. SoundCompass is made for the iPhone and helps users discover local music and talent in any city. The app also features a listing of local music events in Miami and will branch out to other cities.

Greek Week

The University of Miami PanHellenic Association aims to raise $30,000 for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) during its annual “Greek Week” programming.

All week: The “Bleeding Love” blood drive will be held until 6 p.m. Thursday in second floor of the UC. Students can donate in support of a specific fraternity or sorority.

Monday: There will be fundraisers benefitting United Cerebral Palsy at Shake Shack from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and TCBY from noon to 11 p.m.

Tuesday: Another fundraiser will be held at the Bagel Emporium from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Greek God and Goddess event will take place starting at 8 p.m.

Wednesday: “The Greek Bazaar” will feature a carnival on the Rock and Green, with each competing team hosting a different carnival game.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

Paradise Camp weekend is off to a strong start for the Miami Hurricanes. Miami kicked off its massiv ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...