News Briefs 2/25

UHack

Senior Oscar Sanchez, president of UM’s branch of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, organized the second-annual UHack, a coding marathon that began on Saturday and continued into Sunday afternoon.

UHack was centered on a theme of the arts. Winners were awarded based on their creativity, adherence to the theme and the polish of the design.

The first prize of $1,500, a one-year subscription to a coding service Code School and three months of coding work in The Lab at the Wynwood Art District went to the app SoundCompass. SoundCompass is made for the iPhone and helps users discover local music and talent in any city. The app also features a listing of local music events in Miami and will branch out to other cities.

Greek Week

The University of Miami PanHellenic Association aims to raise $30,000 for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) during its annual “Greek Week” programming.

All week: The “Bleeding Love” blood drive will be held until 6 p.m. Thursday in second floor of the UC. Students can donate in support of a specific fraternity or sorority.

Monday: There will be fundraisers benefitting United Cerebral Palsy at Shake Shack from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and TCBY from noon to 11 p.m.

Tuesday: Another fundraiser will be held at the Bagel Emporium from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Greek God and Goddess event will take place starting at 8 p.m.

Wednesday: “The Greek Bazaar” will feature a carnival on the Rock and Green, with each competing team hosting a different carnival game.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...