News Briefs 2/25

UHack

Senior Oscar Sanchez, president of UM’s branch of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, organized the second-annual UHack, a coding marathon that began on Saturday and continued into Sunday afternoon.

UHack was centered on a theme of the arts. Winners were awarded based on their creativity, adherence to the theme and the polish of the design.

The first prize of $1,500, a one-year subscription to a coding service Code School and three months of coding work in The Lab at the Wynwood Art District went to the app SoundCompass. SoundCompass is made for the iPhone and helps users discover local music and talent in any city. The app also features a listing of local music events in Miami and will branch out to other cities.

Greek Week

The University of Miami PanHellenic Association aims to raise $30,000 for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) during its annual “Greek Week” programming.

All week: The “Bleeding Love” blood drive will be held until 6 p.m. Thursday in second floor of the UC. Students can donate in support of a specific fraternity or sorority.

Monday: There will be fundraisers benefitting United Cerebral Palsy at Shake Shack from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and TCBY from noon to 11 p.m.

Tuesday: Another fundraiser will be held at the Bagel Emporium from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Greek God and Goddess event will take place starting at 8 p.m.

Wednesday: “The Greek Bazaar” will feature a carnival on the Rock and Green, with each competing team hosting a different carnival game.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...