Calendar changes come at a cost

The university recently made changes to the academic calendar. These changes include having a week off during Thanksgiving and an extra vacation day during fall break.

I am all for weeklong vacations and four-day weekends, but these changes are going to cost the students.

These extra days off had to come from somewhere and they did: reading days. Now, we will end class on Tuesday, have Wednesday off, and begin exams on Thursday.

The last week of classes usually means three things: projects, papers and tests. Having a weekend and two extra days to study before finals allows students to refocus after the stress that comes with the last week of classes.

Although students shouldn’t solely depend on reading days to get their studying done, and should be studying in advance, this is an unrealistic expectation.

If students have exams during the last week of classes, instead of studying for their finals, they are going to be studying for those tests or finishing those papers or projects.

Personally, I think the calendar changes are a great idea.

We all know that campus becomes a ghost town and professors end up lecturing to five, maybe 10 students as Thanksgiving approaches.

Students always leave before vacation begins and let their professors know in advance.

I also know that reading days are not a right, but these days to study can often lead to success.
The previous academic calendar was fine the way it was. And if something isn’t broken, then why try to fix it?

It is understandable that everyone needs a break sometimes. However, while it’s good for students to be able to relax and spend time with their families, it isn’t worth the possibility of lower exam scores and GPAs in the long run.

Taylor Duckett is a sophomore majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...