News, Student Organization

Glass Guild promotes self-expression, teamwork through art

(Photos by Hadley Jordan)

A new student organization has turned the Studio Arts Complex into one of the hottest hangouts on campus every Tuesday night.

The UM Glass Guild is open to any student interested in the art of glass blowing. It began last November and already has 43 registered members. They get to use the art department kilns, which can reach a scorching temperature of 2,150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Senior Samantha Smith founded the club to help students who were not able to get into one of the department’s introduction to glassblowing classes, which are capped at 10 students each. Whether in class or in the guild, glassblowers need to stay focused because they are working with molten glass, hot equipment and a roaring furnace, according to Alex Adams, who teaches glassblowing and serves as adviser to the guild.

“It really requires me to be alert,” Adams said. “In class, I usually have two groups of five working together. I have to make sure everyone is being safe and getting the right instructions. I don’t think I could do that with more than 10 students in a class.”

While no experience is necessary to join, the glass guild is looking for more people with experience in glass blowing to assist the beginners. Senior Nirmal Pathak, a biology major with a double minor in chemistry and fine art, said he has been “entranced with glass blowing” since the age of 12.

“Once I found out about the guild, I did everything in my power to join,” he said.

Pathak, who plans to go on to medical school, found that glass blowing has helped him in more than an artistic way.

“It’s amazing how much I’ve noticed my dexterity and hand-eye coordination improve due to glass blowing,” he said.

Pathak said he was disappointed that there were not enough students to make an advanced glass class. But working in the guild allows him to practice with others and use teamwork, which he would have gotten from the class. Slumping refers to fusing together small pieces of glass in a kiln to create glass art. Adams said that the guild offers many benefits beyond creating works of art.

“My goal as a teacher and adviser is to get people to work as a team,” he said. “Working in a new environment where danger is involved can provide good skills for the future.”

Smith agreed that glass blowing is a group effort.

“Everyone has a role and everyone works together to create this beautiful piece of art,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Glass Guild meetings

Where: Studio Arts Building, located at 1535 Levante Ave. The glass studios are behind the building at SAR100.

When: 8 p.m. Tuesdays

Dues are $10 per semester. For more information, visit the Glass Guild Facebook page or email Samantha Smith at s.smith44@umiami.edu.

Bailey Murray

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...