Dress for success in the classroom

Despite what you are about to read, I promise I am not an annoying goody-goody looking to earn points with anyone. I was not that kid in elementary school that raised her hand when asked who wanted a uniform policy.

I’m just a student with eyes; eyes that often blink in disbelief at the absurd ways people decide to go to class. I’m talking about what they wear or, in many cases, don’t wear.

I can’t possibly be the only person who believes there is an appropriate dress code for class. I thought there was an obvious standard for what is and is not acceptable for school. I guess I was wrong because the things I have seen students wear shock me.

It’s a little awkward for me to sit directly behind a girl with a giant hole in the back of her shirt so her entire bra is exposed. But imagine how the professor must feel, especially if he is a man. He is being put in an extremely uncomfortable situation. There are so many rules he could be found in violation of if he was suspected of even glancing at this girl in the wrong way. To put someone in that position is unfair and, not to mention, distracting.

This is school, not a nightclub. It’s possible to make an impression without looking like you made a circle-shaped mistake while trying to cut the tag off  your shirt.

My question is: Where is the regulation? I understand that everyone has their own style, but are shorts with lack of coverage really a trend?

I’m not advocating for any kind of strict dress code, I’m just pointing out that there is a respect factor that should be obvious but is largely disregarded. Just the other day I saw someone exiting a classroom barefoot. While that may not be provocative, it’s a sign of disrespect. It’s shows you don’t value the class or the instructor.

You would think no one would show up in something so terrible that action needed to be taken, but that’s not true. Some people cross the line, and it’s not right.

The less enforcement there is, the more severe the issue will become.

Jen Vogel is a freshman majoring in creative writing.

Jen Vogel

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...