Art, Edge

Wynwood’s art sticks

Looking to satisfy your creative side this weekend? There’s no better place to visit than the Wynwood Art District. Wynwood is composed of more than 60 galleries showcasing some of the best paintings, photography, sculpture and multimedia. The art isn’t just for inside gallery walls; the whole area has been transformed into one big canvas as street art decorates Wynwood’s blocks.

The monthly Wynwood Art Walk is one of the best times to visit as the community comes together to highlight the local artists, galleries, stores, restaurants and bars that call Wynwood home. The Art Walk takes place the second Saturday of every month and features not only Wynwood staples but includes an array of food trucks and vendors, making the event a must-see experience.

There’s a number of Wynwood Art Walk tours to help you navigate through this creative community including a standard Art Walk tour, an Underground Tour designed to showcase eclectic art-spaces around the area, a 30-minute tour of the Diet Gallery, and a Spanish-speaking tour emphasizing Latin American and Hispanic artists. Roam There is another tour company outside of Art Walk that offers a Miami Street Art tour.

Local artists lead you by foot or scooter as you learn about how artists have transformed this once-barren warehouse community into an open-air museum. If you can’t find a tour that catches your eye, there’s nothing stopping you from going out and exploring the area yourself.

The Wynwood Walls are at the top of the list for any visit. The exhibit is an open-space gallery devoted to the innovative graffiti and street art movement.

A recent addition to the collection is the “Go! Sticker: An Adhesive Experience” that brings the art of “sticker bombing” to Wynwood. The Go! Shop has even become a permanent member of the Wynwood Walls offering stickers, art-related books and more street art related goodies for sale. It’s groundbreaking to see this street art gain such momentum in the art community.

Kawaii Universe is another unique gallery bringing cute Japanese-infused works of art. Colorful Koi Fish’s cute cupcakes and lively cartoon creatures create an adorable atmosphere like no other. The sticker movement can also be found here with many pieces available for sale as stickers. As an added bonus, Kawaii Universe is currently teaming up with Vita Coco, so be sure to grab a free coconut water when visiting as part of their promotion.

From the wide array of art lining not only the galleries but the streets themselves, to the range of special events and tours Wynwood incorporates into its community, you are sure to have a unique experience when visiting this prominent player in the Miami art world.

The Wynwood Art Walk is located between NE 20th Street and NE 36th Street, and from NW Sixth to NE Second Avenues.
For more information, visit wynwoodmiami.com.
For more information on Roam There Tours, visit roamthere.com.

Sarah Hall

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...