Basketball, Sports

Canes blow out Eagles as Stroman, Wilson score 17 each

SPORTS_Basketball_ng

Sophomore Michelle Woods (10) brushes past Boston College players during the team’s afternoon game on Sunday. The Canes won 79-54 to improve to 17-8.
Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

After a tough loss to Florida State last week, the Hurricanes were able to redeem themselves Sunday afternoon, winning a physical home game against Boston College 79-54 to move to 17-8 (8-6 ACC).
The Canes first drew blood with a Suriya McGuire jumper, but would soon find themselves in a closely contested dogfight with the visiting Eagles. With the score at 27-25 with less than five minutes to go in the first half, Miami was able to pull away. The Hurricanes used a 13-4 run to close out the half.
“I have a very smart team,” coach Katie Meier said. “I have a team that really wants to do what the coaches ask them to do, and we had to feel the game out a little bit and realize how they were scouting us and what their game plan was … We’ve been talking about wildfire and just one little spark and it can ignite. I thought Krystal [Saunders] had a tremendous first half in terms of just hitting really important shots that they were kind of daring her to take, and she knocked them down.”
The second half showed more of the same, as the Canes continued firing on all cylinders to bump up their lead to 27 with about nine minutes to play. The Hurricanes were able to impose their will offensively, tying their regular-season best with 79 points scored. It was also the first time since Dec. 20 against N.C. State that the Canes had five players in double digits.
One of them was Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson, who scored a game-high 17 points (tied with Morgan Stroman) and grabbed nine rebounds.
“I know this game in particular was really exciting for me,” Wilson said. “And it was a game that challenged me, because we were running a defense that I was not familiar with … I felt that I was out there proving myself to my coaches and my team so I was really excited.”
With the win, the Canes have now put themselves into position to finish the season strong and make a push for the NCAA Tournament. ESPN currently has them ranked as an 11 seed, but with strong showings on the road against N.C. State, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, the Canes could climb to an even higher seed.
Miami has a final chance to impress the selection committee when Duke visits the BankUnited Center on Feb. 28. It will also mark the last time the seniors play on their home court.
Saunders is determined to make it a game they will remember.
“I want to do whatever it takes,” she said. “I love these seniors and when we play Duke I’m going to do whatever we have to do to win that game.”

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...