Valentine’s plans set tone for love

There is nothing a guy wants more than to pronounce how much he cares for his girlfriend by standing in front of people with an unhealthy amount of chocolates and an 8-foot teddy bear while she runs toward him screaming like a 14-year-old Justin Bieber fan.

This is an obligation that every guy must fulfill on Valentine’s Day.

Unless you are a hopeless romantic character from a ‘90s movie or Ted Mosby from “How I Met Your Mother,” Valentine’s Day can seem like a chore for most college men.  Most of us have an ego big enough to chase multiple women and wear an Ed Hardy shirt on Friday nights.

The last thing we want to do is express our feelings to a girl. We would rather be fist pumping.

We men are basic primal creatures, and therefore, it can be difficult for us to grasp the concept of planning an event to make another person happy. But, most of us guys are able to pull it together and have a successful day.

All we have to do is walk into a Walgreens or CVS and they have a step-by-step plan. They have the cheesy cards, the chocolate heart boxes, and then we pick up a Red Lobster gift card at the cash register.

I mean, there is nothing more romantic than buying gifts for your significant other at a mainstream drug store where you can also purchase energy drinks and laxatives.

Now, some men are lucky enough to be with a girl they actually want to do something special for. These are the guys that will wear matching sweatpants to class with their girlfriend and have date nights that do not consist of froyo and Netflix. For these guys, Valentine’s Day could actually be something enjoyable. These are the guys that are not faking the smile on their faces when they pick up the $80 check on Valentine’s Eve.

If you are a guy under the spell of some seductive princess, plan her a sweet day. But don’t go overboard. There’s nothing more pathetic than a guy bowing down to a girl and attending to her every need.

What occurs on Valentine’s Day will up the level of the relationship a few notches or have it come to a screeching halt. Guys know this. Whatever we plan is precisely thought out and its effects are usually what the man wants to happen.

Men have been scheming to get girls since they wore light-up sneakers. By now we have some experience and a little skill. Plan accordingly, men.

Kyle Rambo is a junior majoring in education. 

Kyle Rambo

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...