Staff Editorial 2/14: Let your own love open the door

Valentine’s Day is the one day out of the year where people rush to find a date, rush to make a dinner reservation and rush to feel any sort of affection.

Romantic relationships consume our lives on this day – even if it’s not “Facebook official.” We crave the heart-shaped chocolates, the oversized teddy bears, the five-course meals and the dozen roses.

But any other day of the year, the same people that crave the love on Feb. 14, don’t mind being alone.

Society has made it OK for people to feel this way. This commercialized holiday patronizes the single individuals while praising the couples.

The worst part of this is that people settle for being treated mediocre by their partners 364 days of the year as long as Cupid comes to the rescue just once.

In the midst of this 24-hour period, people forget that romantic relationships are essentially meaningless if the relationship you have with yourself is nonexistent.

Carrie Bradshaw once said, “…The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

Being with someone shouldn’t define you. You shouldn’t feel less than what you are because you aren’t in a relationship. And if you are in a relationship, this shouldn’t exempt you from this rule.

It’s not all about the romance. There are other relationships that are just as important, if not more so, such as friendships and family. These relationships form unbreakable bonds that probably last longer than most college relationships.

For those that don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day, you are not alone. You have yourself, and that, should be more than enough. Being happy with who you are is a priority.

If not, you will never be able to be happy with someone else. This is not to say that true love is extinct. It isn’t. But, you don’t have to go searching for it on Valentine’s Day.

Let love find you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...