Staff Editorial 2/14: Let your own love open the door

Valentine’s Day is the one day out of the year where people rush to find a date, rush to make a dinner reservation and rush to feel any sort of affection.

Romantic relationships consume our lives on this day – even if it’s not “Facebook official.” We crave the heart-shaped chocolates, the oversized teddy bears, the five-course meals and the dozen roses.

But any other day of the year, the same people that crave the love on Feb. 14, don’t mind being alone.

Society has made it OK for people to feel this way. This commercialized holiday patronizes the single individuals while praising the couples.

The worst part of this is that people settle for being treated mediocre by their partners 364 days of the year as long as Cupid comes to the rescue just once.

In the midst of this 24-hour period, people forget that romantic relationships are essentially meaningless if the relationship you have with yourself is nonexistent.

Carrie Bradshaw once said, “…The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

Being with someone shouldn’t define you. You shouldn’t feel less than what you are because you aren’t in a relationship. And if you are in a relationship, this shouldn’t exempt you from this rule.

It’s not all about the romance. There are other relationships that are just as important, if not more so, such as friendships and family. These relationships form unbreakable bonds that probably last longer than most college relationships.

For those that don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day, you are not alone. You have yourself, and that, should be more than enough. Being happy with who you are is a priority.

If not, you will never be able to be happy with someone else. This is not to say that true love is extinct. It isn’t. But, you don’t have to go searching for it on Valentine’s Day.

Let love find you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...