Staff Editorial 2/14: Let your own love open the door

Valentine’s Day is the one day out of the year where people rush to find a date, rush to make a dinner reservation and rush to feel any sort of affection.

Romantic relationships consume our lives on this day – even if it’s not “Facebook official.” We crave the heart-shaped chocolates, the oversized teddy bears, the five-course meals and the dozen roses.

But any other day of the year, the same people that crave the love on Feb. 14, don’t mind being alone.

Society has made it OK for people to feel this way. This commercialized holiday patronizes the single individuals while praising the couples.

The worst part of this is that people settle for being treated mediocre by their partners 364 days of the year as long as Cupid comes to the rescue just once.

In the midst of this 24-hour period, people forget that romantic relationships are essentially meaningless if the relationship you have with yourself is nonexistent.

Carrie Bradshaw once said, “…The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

Being with someone shouldn’t define you. You shouldn’t feel less than what you are because you aren’t in a relationship. And if you are in a relationship, this shouldn’t exempt you from this rule.

It’s not all about the romance. There are other relationships that are just as important, if not more so, such as friendships and family. These relationships form unbreakable bonds that probably last longer than most college relationships.

For those that don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day, you are not alone. You have yourself, and that, should be more than enough. Being happy with who you are is a priority.

If not, you will never be able to be happy with someone else. This is not to say that true love is extinct. It isn’t. But, you don’t have to go searching for it on Valentine’s Day.

Let love find you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...