Staff Editorial 2/14: Let your own love open the door

Valentine’s Day is the one day out of the year where people rush to find a date, rush to make a dinner reservation and rush to feel any sort of affection.

Romantic relationships consume our lives on this day – even if it’s not “Facebook official.” We crave the heart-shaped chocolates, the oversized teddy bears, the five-course meals and the dozen roses.

But any other day of the year, the same people that crave the love on Feb. 14, don’t mind being alone.

Society has made it OK for people to feel this way. This commercialized holiday patronizes the single individuals while praising the couples.

The worst part of this is that people settle for being treated mediocre by their partners 364 days of the year as long as Cupid comes to the rescue just once.

In the midst of this 24-hour period, people forget that romantic relationships are essentially meaningless if the relationship you have with yourself is nonexistent.

Carrie Bradshaw once said, “…The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.”

Being with someone shouldn’t define you. You shouldn’t feel less than what you are because you aren’t in a relationship. And if you are in a relationship, this shouldn’t exempt you from this rule.

It’s not all about the romance. There are other relationships that are just as important, if not more so, such as friendships and family. These relationships form unbreakable bonds that probably last longer than most college relationships.

For those that don’t have a date on Valentine’s Day, you are not alone. You have yourself, and that, should be more than enough. Being happy with who you are is a priority.

If not, you will never be able to be happy with someone else. This is not to say that true love is extinct. It isn’t. But, you don’t have to go searching for it on Valentine’s Day.

Let love find you.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...