Campus Life, News

Influential lawyer shares career experiences

Sarah Weddington lecturing at Storer Auditorium. Photo: Catharine Skipp/Miami Law

To mark the 40th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion, the UM School of Law brought a key figure in the women’s rights movement to speak to students and other community members Tuesday night at the Storer Auditorium.

Sarah Weddington, the lead attorney in the 1973 Roe v. Wade case, helped make history. By winning the case, women in the country were granted the right to choose whether or not to complete their pregnancies without government interference.

A 26-year-old at the time, she is believed to be one of the youngest lawyers to successfully argue a case in front of the Supreme Court.

“You don’t need to be a perfect leader,” Weddington, now 68, told the UM crowd. “I have exemplified that. To me, leadership is the willingness to leave your thumbprint.”

Referring to most justices by their first names, Weddington recalled her experiences with monumental female leaders, from Ann Richards, the second woman to be elected governor of Texas, to Sandra Day O’Connor, the first female Supreme Court justice.

But Weddington pointed out that these women are all gone from office now.

“That is why we need a new generation to take the reins,” she said.

Janet Stearns, dean of students for the School of Law, has known Weddington for more than 15 years. She thought students would be moved by Weddington’s story and advice.

“She is very inspirational,” Stearns said. “I think law students and the entire campus community will be motivated just from hearing her.”

Cady Kaiman, a third-year law student, is president and co-founder of UM’s chapter of the nonprofit network Law Students for Reproductive Justice, which hosted the event.

“Dr. Weddington is a national treasure,” Kaiman said. “She changed and moved reproductive freedom forward in our nation.”

However, the rulings from the case have not gone unchallenged. From party platforms to religious dogma, the legalization of abortions remains one of the most controversial contemporary issues 40 years later.

“Reproductive issues are always front and center in our nation’s politics, and quite frankly, consistently under siege,” Kaiman said.

Kaiman, pursuing dual degrees in law and public health, hopes to one day contribute to the reproductive rights movement.

Students wishing to get involved with Law Students for Reproductive Justice should email lsrj.um@gmail.com.

Sarah Weddington will be featured in the PBS special, “Makers: Women Who Make America,” airing Feb. 26.

Jess Swanson

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...