Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch leaving Miami

Over the last 12 years, coach Nicole Lantagne Welch revived the Miami volleyball team and posted a winning season in 10 of those years.

She also led the Canes to the NCAA Tournament five times, including the past four.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lantagne Welch accepted the head coaching position at UC Santa Barbara. She will replace former coach Kathy Gregory, who retired after 38 years as the Guacho’s coach.

Lantagne Welch enjoyed a flurry of success while she was with the Hurricanes. She ended her coaching career in Miami with a 243-120 record, and the team reached 20 total wins on six occasions.

During the 2012 season she set a school record with 17 ACC wins, just one win shy of picking up the ACC title. Her team also defeated a top 10 team with a season opening conference win against No. 6 Florida State. The Canes were ranked in the top 25 on five different occasions.

According to hurricanesports.com, the national search for Lantagne Welch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...