Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball coach Nicole Lantagne Welch leaving Miami

Over the last 12 years, coach Nicole Lantagne Welch revived the Miami volleyball team and posted a winning season in 10 of those years.

She also led the Canes to the NCAA Tournament five times, including the past four.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lantagne Welch accepted the head coaching position at UC Santa Barbara. She will replace former coach Kathy Gregory, who retired after 38 years as the Guacho’s coach.

Lantagne Welch enjoyed a flurry of success while she was with the Hurricanes. She ended her coaching career in Miami with a 243-120 record, and the team reached 20 total wins on six occasions.

During the 2012 season she set a school record with 17 ACC wins, just one win shy of picking up the ACC title. Her team also defeated a top 10 team with a season opening conference win against No. 6 Florida State. The Canes were ranked in the top 25 on five different occasions.

According to hurricanesports.com, the national search for Lantagne Welch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...