V's Take

Dear V: Stalkers make me famous…

I like to study in the serenity of the ninth floor stacks. It is comforting to know that I am usually the only one there. All of a sudden, I have noticed that the same person has been sitting in the cubicle next to mine for the past week. He enters and leaves the library at the same time as me. This has been happening for a week. Do you think this is a coincidence? Does he want something from me? What should I do? 

Stack-Stalked

Silence of the Stacks,

Great perfume campaigns promise love and happiness with the purchase of their symbolic scents. Kate Winslet gave us the “Tresor” to our hearts. Charlize Theron embodies sensual attraction expressed with a French term “j’adore,” or “I love.”

Like any good scent, though, it goes away. These advertisements mask the true messages of their scents. They don’t indicate love but promote obsession with a fantasy that will probably never be fulfilled. A fantasy that resembles your stalker scenario.

There is something alluring about playing with the notion of a stalker. Someone is always watching you, learning your every behavior and studying your patterns. Stalkers focus their attention on you and only you. If that doesn’t lead to narcissism, then it’s time to wake up and get that limited-edition copy of “Ovid.”

You feel in control and have the ability to change the course of this situation. You may be more inclined to engage in dangerous liaisons just for the sake of the story. I agree that having a stalker does improve your street-cred.

With that being said, I am not recommending you have a fatal attraction a la Michael Douglas. Stalkers can be emotionally unstable and are often searching for something that is lost in their lives. The hunt and the desire for a person who is unattainable allows stalkers to gain a position of control. If you’re telling yourself “yikes,” then we are making progress.

You also do not want a stranger tweeting you every five seconds about your next move. Think about it. “It’s 10 a.m., she walks into her cubicle. At 10:05 a.m., she opens her computer.” I just wonder how all of this productive and creative energy would be used aside from stalking. Solving the economic crisis, world hunger and Lindsay Lohan are a few ideas.

The other alternative might be that you’re having a relationship with a ghost. He may be a founder of the school and is looking to improve his spirit street-cred. Hey, it’s a hard-knock life when you have nothing to claim but sex with mortals.

FYI, there is no way to get a restraining order for a mass of ectoplasm. The only exception is Casper because no one really has time for him anymore.

Advice Columnist

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...