Edge, Music

Singer/songwriter uplifts, inspires through jazzy tunes

The sun’s long, lazy rays were coming in through the Newman Alumni Center’s vast window on Friday evening, making for the proper setting as singer/ songwriter Greg Stamper filled the room with his smooth, jazzy pop songs. While not cocky, his Brooklyn confidence that carried through his expressive voice and unshy body language was just enough to convey the meaning behind his personal lyrics. Standing in the center of the room, he sang live over his studio tracks – no easy task without an earpiece. Despite this technical difficulty, he showed off his jazz-trained voice as he smoothly glided from note to note. His voice, not too sweet and not too bitter, attained that enviable balance of smooth chocolate ganache. He counterbalances his uplifting lyrics with soulful melodies that are the fruit of his own hardships.

Living up to his mission statement of writing music that “uplifts and inspires,” he turned a tragic moment in his career into a motivational song. He was at a point at which his fans were anticipating his soon to be released album when he lost everything in a hard-drive death. Taking the unfortunate loss as “some kind of crazy, sick sign” to give up his dream, he spent his days working as a computer engineer. He was in the computer room working on a server when he heard a song singing the words that he attributes to his return to music: Never giving up, I won’t throw in the towel, Even if I’ve lost I can still be found. He says of his own song, written for the purpose of affecting that same trigger in other people, “I was writing that for me but I also wrote it in the sense that I know what you’re going through, but you know what? Don’t give up”.

Embodying the rough and smooth waves that make his career exciting, he starts out his songs still as lakes and progressively crescendos their intensity using harmonic variations in chorus repetitions. Just as he builds up a song, he warms up his audience as the track begins playing with the background story of the song. But regardless of the moment in the song, he is always eager to accentuate pivotal moments with spontaneous arm gestures and brow furrows. Mid-song, he extends out his arms to his audience to share the “gift” that he says he tries to give to his audience through his music. He agrees with Quincy Jones who describes songwriting as a channel: “It’s not an ego-deal, its not about my songs, it comes through me. Songwriting is about listening, staying open”.

Indeed, Greg always stays open and attuned to his audience. He asked them to snap to the beat and sing along with the background vocals. To honor the women in the room, he even asked all the girls to stand and strut their stuff on an imaginary runway.

“I believe that women aren’t celebrated enough in this society. I believe that women are here to usher us into the new age,” he said enthusiastically.

However, Mr. Stamper proved his talent extends beyond audience charisma and vocal expression when his fingers slid like feet dancing to the groovy swing beat on a jazz club floor. Without ever glancing down at his fingers, he sings a respectfully loyal, but individualistic version of John Lennon’s “Imagine.”

Freshmen Kayla Miguel and Nick Raft, who organized the event for their literature class project, said their favorite song was the one he performed on the piano. A musician himself, Professor Giovanni Turner assigned the challenge to bring in a musician from a list he provided from which the two students chose Stamper for both his music and persona.

Senior Aaron Midden, who particularly enjoyed the “calming and relaxing” quality of the evening, said Stamper’s passion was his most salient characteristic.

“He didn’t even have to try to come across as being passionate, it was just there,” Midden said.

Greg Stamper wastes no time feigning, he just follows the advice of his own track “Go.” And man, does he go.

Luisa Andonie

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...