Drive-in features free screening

Hurricane Productions is going to new heights to entertain UM students by screening movies at the top of the Pavia Garage.

On Thursday night, HP, the Cinematic Arts Commission and Canes Night Live will host UM’s first drive-in movie on campus.

Students are invited to the top floor of Pavia to watch a Disney classic, “Hercules,” while munching on free Incredible Kettle Corn, a popular staple at Wednesday’s Farmers Market.

“A drive-in movie is something you hear about, but something you never really see,” HP chair John Lake said. “Bringing one to campus and letting people have this experience is something they’re not going to get anywhere else.”

Lake said the group had discussed the idea of a drive-in but had trouble with the logistics. But thanks to the recent addition to the top of Pavia, the extra parking area will now provide the needed space.

“The last time I went to a drive-in was when I was really little, but I remember loving the environment,” sophomore Alyssa Federico said. “That’s why I was so excited when I heard we were having one on campus. My friends and I are already planning to take my car.”

Similar to HP’s “dive-in” movie held at the UC pool each fall, this spring’s drive-in has the potential to become an annual event.

Elyse Mowle, chair of the Cinematic Arts Commission, has found success in showing Disney movies.

“Disney movies get our biggest audience,” Mowle said. “Everyone wants to see them.”

The HP planning team decided a Thursday night screening would work well because they did not want people to have to go out of their way to attend the event, especially commuter students, since the Association of Commuter Students is copromoting the event.

The top floor area for the movie will open at 7 p.m., and parking is first-come, first-serve.

The floor will be closed off during the day to ensure that the spots will only be available for movie-goers.

There will be room for an estimated 50 to 75 cars.

There will be a seating area for students without cars and they are encouraged to bring blankets or chairs.

Before the movie starts at 8 p.m., there will be a screening of an episode of Nickelodeon’s “Rugrats.”

There will be speakers as well as an FM transmitter in order to hear the movie.

The people up front will listen through the speakers and those in cars farther back can tune in using their own stereo systems.

The three-story-high screen will be at one end of the parking structure and all cars will be facing it directly.

After the movie is over, there will be parking attendants on duty to ensure that students can get out of Pavia safely.

INFO BOX

In case you forgot, here are some fast facts about Hercules:

·       How old was I? It was released on June 27, 1997.

·       Whose voice? Tate Donovan plays the voice of Hercules, based on the mythological deity, Heracles.

·       What you probably remember: The song, “Go the Distance,” which was nominated for the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

·       Length: Movie duration is 93 minutes.

If you go:

What: Disney’s “Hercules”drive-in screening

Where: Roof of Pavia garage

When: Roof opens at 7 p.m., movie begins at 8 p.m. on Thursday

Skylar Frisch

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...