Drive-in features free screening

Hurricane Productions is going to new heights to entertain UM students by screening movies at the top of the Pavia Garage.

On Thursday night, HP, the Cinematic Arts Commission and Canes Night Live will host UM’s first drive-in movie on campus.

Students are invited to the top floor of Pavia to watch a Disney classic, “Hercules,” while munching on free Incredible Kettle Corn, a popular staple at Wednesday’s Farmers Market.

“A drive-in movie is something you hear about, but something you never really see,” HP chair John Lake said. “Bringing one to campus and letting people have this experience is something they’re not going to get anywhere else.”

Lake said the group had discussed the idea of a drive-in but had trouble with the logistics. But thanks to the recent addition to the top of Pavia, the extra parking area will now provide the needed space.

“The last time I went to a drive-in was when I was really little, but I remember loving the environment,” sophomore Alyssa Federico said. “That’s why I was so excited when I heard we were having one on campus. My friends and I are already planning to take my car.”

Similar to HP’s “dive-in” movie held at the UC pool each fall, this spring’s drive-in has the potential to become an annual event.

Elyse Mowle, chair of the Cinematic Arts Commission, has found success in showing Disney movies.

“Disney movies get our biggest audience,” Mowle said. “Everyone wants to see them.”

The HP planning team decided a Thursday night screening would work well because they did not want people to have to go out of their way to attend the event, especially commuter students, since the Association of Commuter Students is copromoting the event.

The top floor area for the movie will open at 7 p.m., and parking is first-come, first-serve.

The floor will be closed off during the day to ensure that the spots will only be available for movie-goers.

There will be room for an estimated 50 to 75 cars.

There will be a seating area for students without cars and they are encouraged to bring blankets or chairs.

Before the movie starts at 8 p.m., there will be a screening of an episode of Nickelodeon’s “Rugrats.”

There will be speakers as well as an FM transmitter in order to hear the movie.

The people up front will listen through the speakers and those in cars farther back can tune in using their own stereo systems.

The three-story-high screen will be at one end of the parking structure and all cars will be facing it directly.

After the movie is over, there will be parking attendants on duty to ensure that students can get out of Pavia safely.

INFO BOX

In case you forgot, here are some fast facts about Hercules:

·       How old was I? It was released on June 27, 1997.

·       Whose voice? Tate Donovan plays the voice of Hercules, based on the mythological deity, Heracles.

·       What you probably remember: The song, “Go the Distance,” which was nominated for the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

·       Length: Movie duration is 93 minutes.

If you go:

What: Disney’s “Hercules”drive-in screening

Where: Roof of Pavia garage

When: Roof opens at 7 p.m., movie begins at 8 p.m. on Thursday

Skylar Frisch

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...