Academics, News

Shalala takes break from classroom

This spring semester marks the 10-year anniversary of President Donna E. Shalala teaching the U.S. Health Care Crisis: The Politics of Health Care Reform course.

But, it will not be offered spring 2014, because Shalala will be taking a break to focus on the Momentum 2 campaign by traveling to raise funds.

According to Shalala, whether the class will be offered in spring 2015 or thereafter has not yet been determined.

“Now that health care reform has passed and since I don’t expect the policy to change, I’ve got to retool the class,” she said. “So I’ll take some time off before I teach it again.”

Shalala, who served as the Secretary of Health and Human Services under former President Bill Clinton, brings a unique perspective to the class by offering personal insight into the healthcare decisions of that time.

“I think it’s a pretty big deal and it’s really great to receive this kind of lecture from her,” sophomore Katherine Fine said. “Not just because she’s the president, but with her history and knowledge and all her credentials, being that she was in the Clinton administration, she’s very knowledgable, so it’s a really great experience.”

The class covers topics such as public health, health disparities, ethics and patient safety. It is also known for the prominent guests speakers Shalala brings to see her students.

Among them are Bill Clinton, who surprised students on President’s Day in 2012 and lectured them about a variety of health care issues, and Dr. Mollyann Brodie, the director of Public Opinion and Survey Research at the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.

When Shalala began teaching the class in 2003, former president George W. Bush was in office, and the politicians at the time were starting to debate whether there should be a prescription drug benefits component to the Medicare program, according to Shalala. That was the issue the class focused on for the semester.

“The course has changed as health care policy has changed over the decade,” she said.

This spring, Shalala will highlight government spending on health care in relation to the federal deficit.

“Every single class I’ve taught here has had some big debate,” she said. “Our debate is going to be on the deficit.”
Third-year law student Barclay Gang has worked as a teaching assistant for the class this and last spring. Throughout her time, she has enjoyed the surprises as much as the students.

“Working for President Shalala is an honor,” Gang said. “She’s an incredibly brilliant administrator and lecturer, and she cares deeply for all of her students.”

Gang assists Shalala by acting as a researcher, ensuring that the course material is updated every semester to make sure students are staying as current as possible.

As another way of staying up-to-date, Shalala encourages her students to sign up for Kaiser Health News, an organization that sends daily alerts about the latest news in healthcare policy and politics.

“By 7:30 a.m. she’s read all the alerts. She said if we read the alerts every day, we’ll really understand healthcare,” sophomore Caroline Levens said. “Her passion carries over, and it takes a lot from a professor to inspire her students to get a text about healthcare every day.”
The students in the class represent a very broad range of backgrounds and majors, which brings a unique aspect to the course, according to Gang.

“It’s amazing to watch such a diverse group participate in a conversation about healthcare. I think our country could learn a great deal from our students,” she said. “If President Shalala could only teach the rest of the country, we’d be in good shape.”

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...