Academics, News

Offices, student resource centers find new homes

Rendering of the new Toppel Center.

Rendering of the new Toppel Center.

The Writing Center migrated from its former location near the Pavia Garage at the start of this semester in order to make room for a new Toppel Career Center, set to open during spring 2014.

In the meantime, the former location of the Writing Center is undergoing major renovations, thanks to a $3 million donation from Patricia Toppel and the Parents Council.

The new center will be twice the size of the current one – from 6,000 square feet, as it is presently – to nearly 12,204 square feet.  The expanded center will be comprised of two main buildings, which will be referred to as the East and West Wings. A grand lobby and an outdoor Career Pavilion will adjoin the two buildings.

The East Wing will serve as the technology and recruiting area of the center. It will also house on-campus interviews and serve as a training ground for students preparing to enter the workforce or start their own businesses.

The West Wing will house the staff and will advise students who come visit the center. Toppel’s planning and operations will take place on the first floor. The second floor will include a Multipurpose Room, which will overlook the Career Pavilion.

The original Toppel Career Center, located at the UC, opened its doors in 1995, due to Toppel and her late husband Harold Toppel’s financial support. Before it was Toppel, the site served as the campus’ bowling alley. Eventually the site will house the Office of Admissions.

According to Christian Garcia, the executive director of the Toppel Career Center, the initial plan to move to a new location was set into motion after a decision to move the Office of Admissions was put into action.

“The original plan was to move admissions here, then they had to decide where to put us,” Garcia said. “The new center will allow for our growing staff. It’ll have interview suites and a multipurpose room. It will be very versatile.”

Though the renovated Toppel Career Center will open to the public next spring, the Office of Admissions has not received a move date just yet.

“Although it will be difficult to leave our longtime home in the Ashe Building, the admission staff is looking forward to being in the University Center,” Dean of Enrollment Management Edward M. Gillis said. “This will be a much more convenient location for prospective students and their parents.”

The Writing Center, located where the renovated Toppel Career Center is set to open, is now housed at 170 LaGorce House, on Dickinson Drive, near the Wellness Center and School of Architecture.

According to the Writing Center Director April Mann, the Writing Center’s new location is temporary.

“The new location is smaller, but it works fine,” she said. “We are further away now, but near the freshmen dorms.”

Additionally, the Writing Center still has the ability to tutor the same amount of students. The English Composition Center is housed next to the new Writing Center, too.

“We have much as tutoring space as before,” Mann said. “Even though it’s a smaller location, it does not feel too cramped.”

Mann hopes to work closely with Richter Library to eventually create a communication center, which would help develop both writing and technology skills.

“If we could work together, they could help students with the technological aspects and we could help students with the writing, communicating and editing,” Mann said. “Right now it’s just an idea.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...