Notable coach hits the small screen

Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell is known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As the notorious lead singer of 2 Live Crew, he earned the label as the leader of the most profane music group of all time.

The ESPN documentary “The U” hinted at Campbell’s alleged financial incentives given to Hurricane football players during their heyday of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Campbell’s star status even led him to campaign for mayor of Miami. But the award-winning HBO program “Real Sports” helps shed light on the modern-day Uncle Luke.  That is, coach Luke.

Today, Campbell is a defensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern, one of the country’s finest high school football programs – and also the alma mater of many Canes, past and present.

Miami Northwestern’s football program has been an important recruiting pipeline for Miami, producing the likes of Melvin Bratton, Brett Perriman, Vernon Carey, Jacory Harris, Sean Spence, Tommy Streeter and Marcus Fortson, as well as with current Canes Ben Jones and Kendal Thompkins.

So how did Campbell make the jump from the rap limelight to the gridiron?

The Liberty City, Fla., native, who made millions for his rap exploits and pledged to reinvest his money back into his hometown, started a youth football league.

NFL and college stars, including Chad Ochocinco, played in the program with Campbell’s Pop Warner teams winning numerous national championships.

When the call came for Campbell to join the coaching ranks, he jumped on the opportunity.

“I take the whole game of football, and translate it into life,” Campbell said in the “Real Sports” segment.

But as the contemplative piece details, Campbell has faced difficulty outrunning his past.

Hurricanes and rap fans alike should make a point to check the story out.

The piece will replay on HBO at 10 a.m. Saturday, as well as 7 and 11 p.m. Tuesday.  It is also available on HBO On Demand and hbogo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...