Notable coach hits the small screen

Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell is known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As the notorious lead singer of 2 Live Crew, he earned the label as the leader of the most profane music group of all time.

The ESPN documentary “The U” hinted at Campbell’s alleged financial incentives given to Hurricane football players during their heyday of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Campbell’s star status even led him to campaign for mayor of Miami. But the award-winning HBO program “Real Sports” helps shed light on the modern-day Uncle Luke.  That is, coach Luke.

Today, Campbell is a defensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern, one of the country’s finest high school football programs – and also the alma mater of many Canes, past and present.

Miami Northwestern’s football program has been an important recruiting pipeline for Miami, producing the likes of Melvin Bratton, Brett Perriman, Vernon Carey, Jacory Harris, Sean Spence, Tommy Streeter and Marcus Fortson, as well as with current Canes Ben Jones and Kendal Thompkins.

So how did Campbell make the jump from the rap limelight to the gridiron?

The Liberty City, Fla., native, who made millions for his rap exploits and pledged to reinvest his money back into his hometown, started a youth football league.

NFL and college stars, including Chad Ochocinco, played in the program with Campbell’s Pop Warner teams winning numerous national championships.

When the call came for Campbell to join the coaching ranks, he jumped on the opportunity.

“I take the whole game of football, and translate it into life,” Campbell said in the “Real Sports” segment.

But as the contemplative piece details, Campbell has faced difficulty outrunning his past.

Hurricanes and rap fans alike should make a point to check the story out.

The piece will replay on HBO at 10 a.m. Saturday, as well as 7 and 11 p.m. Tuesday.  It is also available on HBO On Demand and hbogo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...