Notable coach hits the small screen

Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell is known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As the notorious lead singer of 2 Live Crew, he earned the label as the leader of the most profane music group of all time.

The ESPN documentary “The U” hinted at Campbell’s alleged financial incentives given to Hurricane football players during their heyday of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Campbell’s star status even led him to campaign for mayor of Miami. But the award-winning HBO program “Real Sports” helps shed light on the modern-day Uncle Luke.  That is, coach Luke.

Today, Campbell is a defensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern, one of the country’s finest high school football programs – and also the alma mater of many Canes, past and present.

Miami Northwestern’s football program has been an important recruiting pipeline for Miami, producing the likes of Melvin Bratton, Brett Perriman, Vernon Carey, Jacory Harris, Sean Spence, Tommy Streeter and Marcus Fortson, as well as with current Canes Ben Jones and Kendal Thompkins.

So how did Campbell make the jump from the rap limelight to the gridiron?

The Liberty City, Fla., native, who made millions for his rap exploits and pledged to reinvest his money back into his hometown, started a youth football league.

NFL and college stars, including Chad Ochocinco, played in the program with Campbell’s Pop Warner teams winning numerous national championships.

When the call came for Campbell to join the coaching ranks, he jumped on the opportunity.

“I take the whole game of football, and translate it into life,” Campbell said in the “Real Sports” segment.

But as the contemplative piece details, Campbell has faced difficulty outrunning his past.

Hurricanes and rap fans alike should make a point to check the story out.

The piece will replay on HBO at 10 a.m. Saturday, as well as 7 and 11 p.m. Tuesday.  It is also available on HBO On Demand and hbogo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...