Campus Life, News

Supreme Court justice shares journey, struggles

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman ever appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, will appear Friday at 6 p.m. at UM’s BankUnited Center for a conversation with President Donna E. Shalala.

Presented in conjunction with local bookstore Books & Books, the event is one of a series of stops on a national tour for Sotomayor’s new memoir, “My Beloved World.”

The book chronicles her path from an unstable childhood in the Bronx to a successful career as a lawyer and federal judge.

“I’m considering going to law school and I want to see how she got to where she is,” said freshman Bernardo Berges, a business major. “I want to hear her life story.”

Appointed in 2009 by President Barack Obama, Sotomayor brings diversity to the bench, which has been one of the hallmarks of her tenure.

Cliff Friedman, a second-year law student, believes Sotomayor’s background as a female Puerto Rican with humble financial beginnings gives her a unique outlook.

“Her perspectives are really interesting,” he said. “A couple of her decisions have caught my attention.”

Tickets are free to students and can be picked up at the UC ticket window between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with a valid Cane Card. Distribution began Wednesday on a first-come, first-served basis and will continue until they are gone.

The exact number of student tickets provided has not been disclosed.

Mary Delcamp, a third-year law student, already has her ticket and is thrilled for the opportunity to see Sotomayor.

“I think it’s tremendous that UM can get Supreme Court justices to visit,” she said. “As a law student it makes me feel validated in my education.”

Delcamp hopes to hear about some of the controversial court cases that have cropped up recently, including Citizens United.

She also admires what Sotomayor represents to the nation.

“I appreciate her appointment to the bench and the diversity she brings,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will discuss her book, “My Beloved World”

When: 6 p.m. Friday

Where: BankUnited Center

Tickets are available and free for students at the UC ticket office. 

Rianna Hidalgo

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...