Campus Life, News

Supreme Court justice shares journey, struggles

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman ever appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, will appear Friday at 6 p.m. at UM’s BankUnited Center for a conversation with President Donna E. Shalala.

Presented in conjunction with local bookstore Books & Books, the event is one of a series of stops on a national tour for Sotomayor’s new memoir, “My Beloved World.”

The book chronicles her path from an unstable childhood in the Bronx to a successful career as a lawyer and federal judge.

“I’m considering going to law school and I want to see how she got to where she is,” said freshman Bernardo Berges, a business major. “I want to hear her life story.”

Appointed in 2009 by President Barack Obama, Sotomayor brings diversity to the bench, which has been one of the hallmarks of her tenure.

Cliff Friedman, a second-year law student, believes Sotomayor’s background as a female Puerto Rican with humble financial beginnings gives her a unique outlook.

“Her perspectives are really interesting,” he said. “A couple of her decisions have caught my attention.”

Tickets are free to students and can be picked up at the UC ticket window between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with a valid Cane Card. Distribution began Wednesday on a first-come, first-served basis and will continue until they are gone.

The exact number of student tickets provided has not been disclosed.

Mary Delcamp, a third-year law student, already has her ticket and is thrilled for the opportunity to see Sotomayor.

“I think it’s tremendous that UM can get Supreme Court justices to visit,” she said. “As a law student it makes me feel validated in my education.”

Delcamp hopes to hear about some of the controversial court cases that have cropped up recently, including Citizens United.

She also admires what Sotomayor represents to the nation.

“I appreciate her appointment to the bench and the diversity she brings,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will discuss her book, “My Beloved World”

When: 6 p.m. Friday

Where: BankUnited Center

Tickets are available and free for students at the UC ticket office. 

Rianna Hidalgo

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...