Campus Life, News

Supreme Court justice shares journey, struggles

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman ever appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, will appear Friday at 6 p.m. at UM’s BankUnited Center for a conversation with President Donna E. Shalala.

Presented in conjunction with local bookstore Books & Books, the event is one of a series of stops on a national tour for Sotomayor’s new memoir, “My Beloved World.”

The book chronicles her path from an unstable childhood in the Bronx to a successful career as a lawyer and federal judge.

“I’m considering going to law school and I want to see how she got to where she is,” said freshman Bernardo Berges, a business major. “I want to hear her life story.”

Appointed in 2009 by President Barack Obama, Sotomayor brings diversity to the bench, which has been one of the hallmarks of her tenure.

Cliff Friedman, a second-year law student, believes Sotomayor’s background as a female Puerto Rican with humble financial beginnings gives her a unique outlook.

“Her perspectives are really interesting,” he said. “A couple of her decisions have caught my attention.”

Tickets are free to students and can be picked up at the UC ticket window between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with a valid Cane Card. Distribution began Wednesday on a first-come, first-served basis and will continue until they are gone.

The exact number of student tickets provided has not been disclosed.

Mary Delcamp, a third-year law student, already has her ticket and is thrilled for the opportunity to see Sotomayor.

“I think it’s tremendous that UM can get Supreme Court justices to visit,” she said. “As a law student it makes me feel validated in my education.”

Delcamp hopes to hear about some of the controversial court cases that have cropped up recently, including Citizens United.

She also admires what Sotomayor represents to the nation.

“I appreciate her appointment to the bench and the diversity she brings,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will discuss her book, “My Beloved World”

When: 6 p.m. Friday

Where: BankUnited Center

Tickets are available and free for students at the UC ticket office. 

Rianna Hidalgo

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...