Campus Life, News

Supreme Court justice shares journey, struggles

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman ever appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, will appear Friday at 6 p.m. at UM’s BankUnited Center for a conversation with President Donna E. Shalala.

Presented in conjunction with local bookstore Books & Books, the event is one of a series of stops on a national tour for Sotomayor’s new memoir, “My Beloved World.”

The book chronicles her path from an unstable childhood in the Bronx to a successful career as a lawyer and federal judge.

“I’m considering going to law school and I want to see how she got to where she is,” said freshman Bernardo Berges, a business major. “I want to hear her life story.”

Appointed in 2009 by President Barack Obama, Sotomayor brings diversity to the bench, which has been one of the hallmarks of her tenure.

Cliff Friedman, a second-year law student, believes Sotomayor’s background as a female Puerto Rican with humble financial beginnings gives her a unique outlook.

“Her perspectives are really interesting,” he said. “A couple of her decisions have caught my attention.”

Tickets are free to students and can be picked up at the UC ticket window between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with a valid Cane Card. Distribution began Wednesday on a first-come, first-served basis and will continue until they are gone.

The exact number of student tickets provided has not been disclosed.

Mary Delcamp, a third-year law student, already has her ticket and is thrilled for the opportunity to see Sotomayor.

“I think it’s tremendous that UM can get Supreme Court justices to visit,” she said. “As a law student it makes me feel validated in my education.”

Delcamp hopes to hear about some of the controversial court cases that have cropped up recently, including Citizens United.

She also admires what Sotomayor represents to the nation.

“I appreciate her appointment to the bench and the diversity she brings,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will discuss her book, “My Beloved World”

When: 6 p.m. Friday

Where: BankUnited Center

Tickets are available and free for students at the UC ticket office. 

Rianna Hidalgo

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...